Commissioners Invite Citizens to Help Create Beaty Park
At its April 10 meeting, the commissioners established a “Park at Beaty Street Task Force” to lead the effort. Kathryn Spatz, Parks & Recreation Director for the town, will serve as primary staff liaison for the task force. Citizens who want to serve on the group should visit this website or contact Spatz at 704-940-9644 to learn more about its work and schedule
Applications will be accepted until April 30, and appointments will be announced in early May.
Among charges that the task force will address are the following:
- Sponsor public forums to solicit community input and identify recreational needs,
- Identify and evaluate all assets on-site.
- Investigate park and recreation elements needed, including walking trails and other amenities.
- Consider ancillary uses as appropriate, respecting historic character of surrounding parcels.
- Develop planning level cost estimates for the various options to help in setting priorities and developing financing plans.
- Evaluate each option on the basis of capital and operational costs, potential impacts on the natural environment, potential revenues, recreational needs and effect on programs.
- Meet with the Davidson Board of Commissioners for review and comment before making final recommendations.
Bill Giduz was the son who followed his father’s footsteps into journalism. He has been involved his entire life with news and photography in schools he attended and jobs he’s held. He believes now that he’s got a few good years left to devote to The News of Davidson.