Wildcat Men’s Basketball to Hold Red/Black Game Saturday
DAVIDSON, N.C. – Davidson, the defending Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Tournament Champions, will hold its annual Red/Black Scrimmage Saturday, October 20 at 2 p.m. in John M. Belk Arena. The scrimmage is open to the public, and admission is free.
The team will be introduced prior to the scrimmage, while Head Coach Bob McKillop and the Wildcats will take part in a post-game question and answer session with fans in the lobby after the contest.
Preseason talking points
• Three starters return from the team that went 21-12, won its first Atlantic 10 Tournament Championship and reached the NCAA Tournament for the 14th time in program history.
• In 2017-18, Davidson hit a school-record 353 3-pointers, led the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.76) and finished in the top 10 nationally in free throw percentage (4th, .798) and 3-pointers made per game (10th, 10.7).
• Per NCAA rules, the Wildcats will practice 30 times in the 42 days leading up to their Nov. 6 season opener at home against Cleveland State.
• Guard Kellan Grady returns for his sophomore season after earning the Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year award and second-team all-conference honors last season. The 6-foot-5 guard from Boston averaged 18 points in his debut season, while splitting point guard duties with fellow returners Jon Axel Gudmundsson and KiShawn Pritchett.
• Junior Gudmundsson (Grindavik, Iceland) is back after averaging 13.2 points, 6 rebounds and 5.1 assists, while redshirt junior Pritchett (Mooresville, N.C.) added 5.9 points and 3.3 assists per outing.
• The Wildcats are tasked with replacing A-10 Co-Player of the Year and A-10 Championship Most Outstanding Player, Peyton Aldridge. The current overseas pro (Italy) led Davidson with 21.2 points and 7.6 rebounds per game and finished his career third on the Wildcats scoring list with 2,171 points.
• Redshirt senior forward Nathan Ekwu (Enugu, Nigeria) is the team’s lone senior and returns after missing 2017-18 due to injury. Redshirt freshman guard Luke Frampton (Poca, W.Va.) and redshirt junior forward Dusan Kovacevic (Novi Sad, Serbia) are also set to return from season-ending injuries.
• The roster features a freshman class of four, including guards Mike Jones (Woodbury, Minn.) and David Czerapowicz (Gothenburg, Sweden) and forwards Nelson Boachie-Yiadom (London, England) and Luka Brajkovic (Feldkirch, Austria).
• Former standout guard Brian Sullivan ’16 has joined the staff as the director of student-athlete development.
Season tickets for Davidson’s 16 home contests are available online or by calling the Ticket Office at 1-800-768-2287. Single-game tickets and mini-packs are also available for the 2018-19 season.