Davidson Men’s Tennis Earn 3rd Seed for A-10 Tournament
DAVIDSON, N.C. — The Davidson men’s tennis team gears up for the Atlantic 10 Men’s Tennis Championship starting Friday, April 26, in Orlando, Fla, at the USTA National Campus.
The Wildcats earned the No. 3 overall seed and get a bye into the quarterfinals after going 4-1 in league matches and sporting a solid 12-8 record overall. They will be seeking the program’s first-ever A-10 Tournament title after capturing the Southern Conference title nine times.
Davidson’s four league wins came against George Mason, La Salle, Saint Joseph’s and St. Bonaventure.
With its first-round bye, Davidson will get the winner of sixth-seeded George Mason (11-9, 4-2 A-10) or 11th-seeded La Salle (4-18, 1-6 A-10) in the quarterfinals on Friday at 12 p.m.
All matches can be followed by clicking the link above on A-10 Men’s Tennis Championship Central.
The All-Time Series/Last Meeting
Should the Wildcats face George Mason, it would be the ninth meeting after the ‘Cats scored a 4-0 win earlier this season to move to 7-1 in the all-time series. They have faced the Explorers just once, in this year’s 4-0 win, Feb. 24.
A-10 Tournament History
The Wildcats are making their fifth appearance in the A-10 Championship. Last year saw them reach the semifinals for the first time, but their season ended with a tough 4-3 setback to Dayton. The Flyers have ended Davidson’s run in the tournament the past three straight seasons.
During Davidson’s run in the Southern Conference, it had a 12-14 tournament record that dated back to 1988. The Wildcats won the tournament nine times, collecting titles back in 1954, 1955, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1971 and 1973.
VCU (13-9) was given the No. 1 seed and are seeking their third straight title after winning it all in 2017 and 2018.
Scouting the Wildcat Men- Quick Hits
• For the fifth year in a row, and sixth time in the past seven years, Davidson reached the double-digit mark in wins as it finished the regular season with 12.
• It is the eighth time under head coach Drew Barrett the ‘Cats have hit the double-figure mark in wins.
• Coach Barrett is in his 13th season guiding the program and has 175 career wins, including 135 at Davidson.
• Davidson ran off a season-best four-match win streak, two of the wins coming against A-10 foes.
• Davidson collected half of its wins at home with a 6-4 mark, while going 5-4 on the road and 1-0 in neutral site matches.
• The ‘Cats as a team earned 67 singles wins during the regular season, going 67-40 with a solid 18-5 record in A-10 matches.
• Four of the six singles players collected over 10 wins each.
• Pacing the team was freshman Sam Kavarana with a 13-4 record and a 4-0 mark in league matches.
• The freshman was 11-4 at No. 3 and is riding a three-match win streak, while going 7-2 in his past nine matches.
• Kavarana was a three-time A-10 Rookie of the Week winner during the regular season.
• Freshman Brooks Green and sophomore Yash Parikh went 12-6 with a combined 8-2 record vs. A-10 (4-1 each).
• Both Green (Feb. 19) and Parikh (March 19) each won A-10 weekly awards, the rookie and player of the weeks.
• Camden Mazzoni had a career-best 10-6 single record and was a two-time A-10 Player of the Week winner.
• Davidson went 28-25 in doubles action, getting nine of those wins in league matches.
• The No. 2 team of Douglas MacIntosh and Mazzoni went a team-best 9-8.
• The pair of Alexander Loope and Matthew Rose went 7-2 during the regular season, all coming at the No. 3.
• The Wildcats used nine different doubles combinations during the regular season.