ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT
Organ at Davidson Fall Season Opener
SEASON OPENER BY DR. ANDREW SCANLON
Davidson College Presbyterian Church announces the fourteenth season of its popular Organ at Davidson series, with the first concert by Dr. Andrew Scanlon on Monday, September 16 at 7:30 p.m. All programs in the monthly series are free (with donations encouraged), and are followed by a Friends of the Organ meet-the-artist reception immediately after the performance.
A native of Methuen, Massachusetts, ANDREW SCANLON has been a professor in the keyboard faculty at East Carolina University since 2009, where he directs the graduate and undergraduate programs in organ and sacred music. In addition, he is the organist and choirmaster at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Greenville, North Carolina and artistic director of East Carolina Musical Arts Education Foundation. He has performed organ recitals in important venues in the United States, Europe, and Africa. Actively involved in the American Guild of Organists, Andrew Scanlon holds the Fellowship diploma (FAGO), has been a faculty member for three Pipe Organ Encounters, and he serves on both the National Board of Examiners and the Committee on Professional Certification.
The program includes music by J.S. Bach, Jehan Alain, Henry Smart and…Billy Strayhorn?!
In addition to the September program, future offerings include:
- members of the North Carolina Baroque Orchestra performing chamber music for violins and cello with a special chamber organ;
- brilliant young Davidson organist Clara Gerdes, winner of multiple national competitions and a graduate of Curtis Institute of Music
- international concert organist Jonathan Dimmock of San Francisco, featuring a brother-sister organ duet;
- the Choral Arts Society of Davidson singing music of Benjamin Britten, featuring organists Tom Robak and Jane Cain;
- and the popular Bach Birthday Bash played by Dr. Joe Causby of Chapel Hill.
The church is located at 100 N. Main Street in Davidson.
For further information, contact Jane Cain, Director of Music, Davidson College Presbyterian Church at 704-892-5641, Fax: 704-892-5956, or E-mail.