Wildcat Men’s Basketball Host Saint Louis Wednesday at Belk Arena
Date: Wednesday, January 22, 2020
Time: 7:00 PM
Location: Davidson, N.C.
Site (Capacity): John M. Belk Arena (4,300)
Audio: Davidson Radio Network
Websites: DavidsonWildcats.com | SLUBillikens.com
Series Record: Davidson leads, 5-2
Streak: Lost 1
Last Meeting: 3/16/19, L 44-67 (A-10 Semis | Barclays)
Last Davidson Win: 1/26/19, W 54-53 (Chaifetz)
Last Saint Louis Win: 3/16/19, L 44-67 (A-10 Semis | Barclays)
First Meeting: 1/10/15, W 89-54 (Home)
Davidson Record at Home: 2-0
Davidson Record on Road: 2-1
Davidson Record at Neutral Site: 1-1
Bob McKillop‘s Record: 5-2
• Davidson returns home for its next two beginning with a 7 p.m. tip against Saint Louis Wednesday.
• The Wildcats enter 8-9 overall and 2-3 in Atlantic 10 play following a 74-62 win at Fordham over the weekend.
• Jon Axel Gudmundsson led the way with a game-high 21 points to go along with 9 assists.
• In addition, Gudmundsson became just the fourth player in school history to hit the 500-assist plateau.
• Gudmundsson, the 2019 Atlantic 10 Player of the Year, is averaging 19.0 points, 9.5 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 2.2 steals over the last four games.
• The ‘Cats are 61-34 in A-10 regular season contests, including 14-4 last year, and 70-39 including A-10 tournament play.
• Kellan Grady continues to lead Davidson in scoring at 15.6 points per outing.
• Gudmundsson (12.9), Carter Collins (11.9) and Luka Brajkovic (10.0) are also averaging double figures for the ‘Cats.
LAST TIME OUT
• In addition to scoring a game-high 21 points, Davidson’s Jon Axel Gudmundsson became just the fourth player in school history to hit the 500-assist plateau as the ‘Cats rallied past Fordham, 74-62, Sunday afternoon at Rose Hill Gym.
• Gudmundsson finished 8-of-12 from the floor, drilled four 3-pointers and handed out 9 assists, just missing his third straight double-double.
• The 2019 Atlantic 10 Player of the Year, joins Jason Richards (663), Ali Ton (646) and Chris Alpert (542) as the only Wildcats to hit the milestone.
• Gudmundsson was joined in double figures by backcourt mates Mike Jones (15) and Carter Collins (11).
• Davidson wasted little time erasing its halftime deficit as the ‘Cats opened the second half on a 25-7 run, capped by 14 straight points to grab a 62-48 advantage. During their game-changing streak, the Wildcats were 9-of-12 from the floor, including six 3-pointers.
• The ‘Cats shot 56 percent in the final frame to finish at 54 percent, which included a 12-of-30 effort from long range. Davidson was as impressive defensively in the second half holding the Rams to just 32 percent (8-25).
LAST TIME VS. SAINT LOUIS
• Javon Bess scored 24 points on 10-of-14 shooting and Saint Louis held Davidson to a season-low 25.9 percent as the Billikens knocked off the second-seeded Wildcats, 67-44, in the semifinals of the 2019 Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Championship March 16, 2019 at the Barclays Center.
• Jon Axel Gudmundsson paced the Wildcats with 15 points. Luka Brajkovic also scored in double figures with 12.
• Saint Louis opened the second half on a 15-2 run to grab control as it would stretch the margin to as many as 24 with just under a minute to play. In addition, the Billikens limited Davidson to just 5-of-29 shooting in the period.
• Despite starting 1-of-11 from the floor and falling behind 12-3, Davidson slowly chipped away and eventually used a 16-2 run highlighted by four 3-pointers to go up 27-20 with 3:38 left in the half. The two teams went to the break deadlocked at 29-29 after the Billikens closed the period with a 9-2 spurt.
• Davidson will conclude its brief homestand Saturday with a 6 p.m. tip against George Mason.
• The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.