Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Re-opens Phase 1 on June 1, 2020
Library re-opens with limited services, materials holds and pick-up available
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library announces Phase 1 of its re-opening plan is set for Monday, June 1, 2020. There will be limited services at each branch location only for holds pick-up and returns as the Library resumes normal operating summer hours of Monday – Thursday 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Friday and Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
The Library is allocating space inside each branch’s front entrance to serve
one customer at a time, with a 6-foot distancing line outside. While customers are in line outside, staff will encourage social distancing and explain the available services. More information can be found athttps://www.cmlibrary.org/blog/library-open-june-1-2020
“The Library is taking extra precautions to ensure a safe space for our customers and staff. We’re moving from virtual-only services to in-person services in a responsible way that focuses on safety,” said Caitlin Moen, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library chief customer officer/library director. “We’ll continue to bring back inperson services during the next weeks and months as it is safe to do so, and as we build our capacity to provide service in a new way that meets the safety requirements as outlined by the State and the County.”
Here is what to expect during the Library’s Phase 1 re-opening:
- Staff will wear face masks/coverings and protective equipment. Masks are optional for customers but encouraged.
- One customer allowed inside a branch at a time.
- Minimized footprint in locations.
- Streamlined self-checkout designed for quick in-and-out and safe, socially distanced interactions.
- Materials and holds available for pickup inside the branches.
- All checkouts are self-checkouts. Customers can scan their card (physical or on the app) and the materials. No need to enter the pin.
- All material/book drops remain closed. Return materials and books to the designated receptacles located at branch locations only during open hours. Signs will direct customers to the proper bin where returned materials will begin the quarantine process.
- Fines and fees are suspended during Phase 1.
- Restrooms will not be open to the public.
Materials and books will be quarantined for 72 hours before they are checked in. There is no need for customers to ‘clean’ or disinfect Library materials. Materials that were on the holds shelf at the time of the Library’s closure will expire during the week of June 15. During Phase 1, computer rooms, community and meeting rooms and restrooms will not be available.
Outreach programming will continue online or virtual and is coordinated between the Library Outreach team and the organization. All programming and events for children, teens, adults and the Job Help Center have moved to online or virtual formats and can be found here. The Library’s online chat is available here – click on the Ask a Librarian button; telephone reference resumes during normal operating hours at 704.416.0101; or customers can contact a branch location directly. Visit here for more information.
Photo caption: Charlotte Mecklenburg Library re-opens for Phase 1 on June 1, 2020
About Charlotte Mecklenburg Library:
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library is one of America’s leading urban public libraries, serving a community of more than one million citizens in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. Through 20 locations, targeted outreach and online resources, the Library delivers exceptional services and programs, with a mission to improve lives and build a stronger community. For more, visit here.
Marketing & Communications Leader
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library
o:704-416-0702 c: 980-293-5634
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library newsroom: cmlibrary.org/library-news