Davidson Board of Commissioners Virtual Meeting Tuesday, June 23
The Town of Davidson Board of Commissioners will hold a virtual meeting on Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 6:00 pm through the Zoom virtual platform and streamed live on YouTube. The meeting is agenda online – http://townofdavidson.org/73/Meeting-Agendas-Minutes
The Town of Davidson aims to ensure public accessibility and participation. Please see below on how you may participate in this meeting if interested.
To participate in the meeting, follow these steps:
- For public access to view the meeting on Zoom, register in advance at:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information
about joining the webinar. Registration will end at 5:00pm on Tuesday, June 23
- We are also planning to live stream the meeting via YouTube on the Town of Davidson Channel
I. CALL TO ORDER
a. Roll Call – Mayor Knox will confirm each member of the board is present.
- CHANGES TO THE AGENDA
III. TOWN OF DAVIDSON COVID-19 RESPONSE
Summary: Town staff and the board of commissioners will continue to discuss the Town of Davidson COVID-19 response and how to protect the public health in Davidson. The presentation will include an update on local NCDOT Transportation Projects.
- Beaty Park Schematic Plan Update
Leslie Willis, Interim Parks & Recreation Director
Anna Simpson, The Dodd Studio
Summary: The Dodd Studio completed the Beaty Park Schematic Plan, which reflects the first phase of design advancing the master plan. While the master plan was used as a guiding document on public input, The Dodd Studio worked with Town staff and stakeholders to vet amenities and elements, as well as examine in more detail the property’s existing conditions like topography, natural elements, and conservation easement restrictions. The Beaty Park Schematic Plan was opened for public comments and feedback for eleven days online and received overwhelming support and positive reviews as moving in the right direction. Overall, the plan entails a variety of passive recreation amenities, allowing park users to enjoy the forested property and provides a nature oasis for Davidson.
- PUBLIC COMMENTS – The Board shall provide at least one period for public comment per month at a regular meeting.
Providing ample opportunity for the public to engage and participate in the decision-making process by the town board during the pandemic is a top priority. In order to ensure public participation, the following options prior to town board meetings will be available for public comment. These options were developed to allow different technologies to be used ensuring equitable and robust comment opportunities:
- Email: The public will be allowed to comment by sending written comments to [email protected] of no more than 400 words via email that will then be read aloud at the meeting. In keeping with the board’s current procedures, only one (1) three-minute of verbal reading will be allowed per email. The deadline to submit by email is 5:00 pm on Tuesday, June 23.
- Phone: The public will be able to call (704)940-9614 and leave a voicemail message in order to provide public comment. These messages will be played during public comment periods, but will be limited to three minutes. The deadline to submit by phone is 5:00 pm on Tuesday, June 23.
- Speak Up Online Platform: Prior to each meeting, the town will post a question online via Speak Up (https://townofdavidson.granicusideas.com/discussions/) that will allow the public to comment via this method. The comments will be read aloud at the meeting, but limited to three minutes. The deadline to submit by Speak Up is 5:00 pm on Tuesday, June 23.
- Social Media: Prior to each meeting, a social media post will solicit any public comment for the upcoming meeting. These comments will be read aloud at the meeting, but limited to three minutes. The deadline to submit by social media is 5:00 pm on Tuesday, June 23.
Note: If the same comment is made via multiple methods, only one will be used in the meeting with the voicemail taking first priority. Public comment must be submitted by
5:00 p.m. the day of the virtual meeting.
- CONSENT – Consent items are typically non-controversial and routine items. Prior to the board’s adoption of the meeting agenda the request of any member to have an item moved from the consent agenda to old business must be honored by the board. All items on the consent agenda must be voted on and adopted by a single motion.
- Consider Approval of Draft May Meeting Minutes
Summary: Draft Meeting Minutes from May 12 virtual work session, May 19 virtual special meeting, and May 26 virtual regular meeting.
- Consider Approval of a FY2020 Budget Ordinance Amendment
Summary: The Board will consider the approval of 2 budget amendments:
BA 2020-24 to recognize the remaining revenue of a State of North Carolina grant awarded in FY2019, and related expenditures in the Police and Fire Departments totaling $66,203.56.
BA 2020-25 to fund Police Department entrance area safety enhancements from Committed Fund Balance received from an Officer Relief Fund donation.
- Consider Approval of Resolution 2020-09 Adopting a Title VI Policy for the Town of Davidson
Summary: The Federal Government and State of North Carolina now require all local government partners that either receive direct funding or that partner in projects utilizing Federal funding, must have an adopted Title VI Plan. Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act provides that: “No person in the United States shall, on the ground of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
The State has asked the Town of Davidson, in order to partner with NCDOT on all upcoming highway and greenway projects, to adopt a Title VI plan. In addition, the plan will be necessary for the town to potentially receive FEMA reimbursement funding for the COVID-19 emergency or any future emergency declaration.
We already have this language in our CDBG and HOME contracts and this provides an overall Title VI plan for the town.
VII. OLD BUSINESS
- Review Options to Restore Funding for the Parks and Recreation Department Director and Consider Approval of an Amendment to Budget Ordinance 2020-02
Jamie Justice, Town Manager
Piet Swart, Finance Director
Summary: Staff will present options to restore budget for the Parks and Recreation Director position. The board will consider an amendment to the FY21 Budget Ordinance 2020-02 which was approved on June 9, 2020.
- Consider Approval to Direct the Clerk to Investigate a Voluntary Contiguous Annexation Petition of Davidson Farms – Resolution 2020-10
Jamie Justice, Town Manager
Summary: The property owners are requesting a voluntary contiguous annexation of Davidson Farms including Parcel #00725120, Parcel #00725116. Water/Sewer Extension request for this project was approved by the board of commissioners on July 23, 2019.
- Consider Approval of Resolution 2020-11 Road Abandonment Request of Kistler Farm Road
Jamie Justice, Town Manager
Summary: The Davidson Farms Master Plan was approved in April 2020. As part of the approval, ordinance-required streetscape improvements and the extension of the existing Kistler Farm Rd. must be implemented by the developer. Because Kistler Farm Rd. is currently an NCDOT facility, the board of commissioners must adopt a resolution requesting abandonment of the road to the Town of Davidson for improvement/maintenance. After NCDOT approves the request (which they have agreed to) and the town assumes ownership of the road, the developer will make the required improvements/extension.
VIII. NEW BUSINESS
- Review Upcoming Agenda Items
Jamie Justice, Town Manager
Summary: The Town Manager will review upcoming agenda items.
- SUMMARIZE MEETING ACTION ITEMS –Town Manager will summarize items where the board has requested action items for staff.
For more information, please contact Town Clerk Betsy Shores at [email protected] or 704-940-9614.
Community members requiring reasonable accommodation (such as an interpreter or other auxiliary aids) to access public meetings should contact Town Clerk Betsy Shores prior to the meeting at 704-940-9614 or [email protected].