Davidson Board of Commissioners Virtual Meeting Tuesday, September 22 – 5:00 p.m.
The Town of Davidson Board of Commissioners will hold a virtual meeting on Tuesday, September 22, 2020 at 5:00 pm through the Zoom virtual platform and streamed live on YouTube.
Due to a community event at Davidson College that evening, the virtual board meeting will begin at 5:00 pm. The meeting agenda is online – http://townofdavidson.org/73/Meeting-Agendas-Minutes
The Town of Davidson aims to ensure public accessibility and participation. Please see below on how you may participate in this meeting if interested.
To participate in the meeting, follow these steps:
- For public access to view the meeting on Zoom, register in advance at:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information
about joining the webinar. Registration will end at 5:00pm on Tuesday, September 22.
- We are also planning to live stream the meeting via YouTube on the Town of Davidson Channel
I. CALL TO ORDER – 5:00 P.M.
a. Roll Call – Mayor Knox will confirm each member of the board is present.
- CHANGES TO THE AGENDA
III. NEW BUSINESS
- Public Facilities Pricing Update
Karen Whichard, Assistant Town Manager
Summary: Town staff and the public facilities design team will provide an update on the current public facilities pricing after the completion of the design development phase. The update will include information about value engineering that has occurred at this stage in the process to keep total costs within budget, an update on the funding for soft costs including contingency funds, and a reminder of the overall Construction Manager at Risk process, which concludes with town board approval of the guaranteed maximum price in April 2021. This item is an update. There is no action needed from the town board at this time.
- OLD BUSINESS
- Consider Approval of Ordinance 2020-07 Lake Forest Church Conditional Planning Area and Consistency Statement
Jason Burdette, Planning Director Lindsay Laird, Planner
Planning Board Member
Summary: The applicant proposes a Conditional Planning Area Map Amendment for +/- 4.11 acres on three parcels currently zoned Village Edge and Village Infill Planning Areas. The Davidson Planning Ordinance (DPO) allows the Conditional Planning Area as an option for developers/property owners to ask for exceptions from the ordinance in a manner that is mutually agreeable to the developer and the Town of Davidson. Parcel IDs: 00324111, 00324107, & 00324170.
- Discuss Historic Preservation Plan
Jamie Justice, Town Manager
Summary: One of the 2020-2021 Strategic Plan goals is Historic Preservation: Preserve our historic properties that contribute to our vibrant and unique community and honor the history of the lived experiences of our residents. The top strategy includes developing a historic preservation plan. We have been pursuing a grant to begin the process of developing a plan but were unsuccessful. This item was previously discussed at the September 8 work session. Staff will discuss with the board options for next steps in achieving this strategy.
- CONSENT –Consent items are typically non-controversial and routine items. Prior to the board’s adoption of the meeting agenda the request of any member to have an item moved from the consent agenda to old business must be honored by the board. All items on the consent agenda must be voted on and adopted by a single motion.
- Consider Approval of Draft August Meeting Minutes
Summary: Draft Meeting Minutes from the August 11 virtual work session, and August 25 virtual regular meeting.
- Consider Approval of Amendment to Planning Board bylaws
Summary: The Planning Board reviewed their Rules of Procedure, comparing existing rules to statutory provisions and those of peer communities, and made updates to: Align the purpose with the state statutory language; include membership term limits per board of commissioners changes; clarify attendance, agenda, scheduling, noticing, voting and participation policies; and, establish conduct and communication parameters.
- Consider Approval of Amendment to Livability Board bylaws
Summary: The Livability Board has revised the bylaws that were originally drafted when the board was established in 2011. There are two important proposals for substantive change. The first one is the Livability Board themes were removed and condensed to a paragraph that better reflects the charge of the Livability Board. Secondly, the terms of service and term limits were added.
- Consider Approval of Resolution 2020-15 Request NCDOT to Relinquish Beaty Street for Maintenance
Summary: Requesting NCDOT to relinquish Beaty Street from Griffith St to NC 115
(0.92 mi) to the Town of Davidson for maintenance.
- Consider Approval of NCDOT Municipal Agreement for Project U-5907- Potts- Sloan-Beaty
Summary: NCDOT requires a Municipal Agreement for 2 major reasons so U -5907 Potts-Sloan-Beaty can move forward. First, the town would be responsible for any costs over $6,150,000, which is standard for NCDOT agreements. The town is anticipating a projected shortfall of $700,000 – $1,000,000. Second, as an administrative procedure, maintenance of Potts Street, Sloan Street, and Beaty Street were transferred to the NCDOT. This agreement requires that the town accept these streets back into our system when the project is complete.
- PUBLIC HEARING – 6:00 P.M.
Providing ample opportunity for the public to engage and participate in the decision-making process by the town board during the pandemic is a top priority. In order to ensure public participation, the following options prior to town board meetings will be available for public comment.
- Email:The public will be allowed to comment by sending written comments to[email protected] of no more than 400 words via email that will then be read aloud at the meeting if the email is submitted by 5:00 pm on Tuesday, September 22, 2020.
Per NCGS§166A-19.24 the deadline to submit by email is 6:00 pm on Wednesday, September 22, 2020.
- Phone:The public will be allowed to participate in the public hearing by verbal comment by calling 704-940-9614 and leaving a voicemail message. These messages will be played during the public hearing period, but will be limited to three minutes. The deadline to submit by phone is 5:00 pm on Tuesday, September 22, 2020.
- Davidson Cottages Conditional Planning Area – continued from August 25, 2020
Trey Akers, Senior Planner
Summary: The board of commissioners will hold a public hearing on the proposed development and discuss the project with staff and the project team. This hearing was continued from August 25, 2020. A decision regarding the project is not required as part of this meeting.
VII. PUBLIC COMMENTS – The Board shall provide at least one period for public comment per month at a regular meeting.
Providing ample opportunity for the public to engage and participate in the decision-making process by the town board during the pandemic is a top priority. In order to ensure public participation, the following options prior to town board meetings will be available for public comment. These options were developed to allow different technologies to be used ensuring equitable and robust comment opportunities:
- Email:The public will be allowed to comment by sending written comments to[email protected] of no more than 400 words via email that will then be read aloud at the meeting. In keeping with the board’s current procedures, only one (1) three-minute of verbal reading will be allowed per email. The deadline to submit by email is 5:00 pm on Tuesday, September 22.
- Phone:The public will be able to call (704)940-9614 and leave a voicemail message in order to provide public comment. These messages will be played during public comment periods, but will be limited to three minutes. The deadline to submit by phone is 5:00 pm on Tuesday, September 22.
- Speak Up Online Platform:Prior to each meeting, the town will post a question online via Speak Up (https://townofdavidson.granicusideas.com/discussions/) that will allow the public to comment via this method. The comments will be read aloud at the meeting, but limited to three minutes. The deadline to submit by Speak Up is 5:00 pm on Tuesday, September 22.
- Social Media:Prior to each meeting, a social media post will solicit any public comment for the upcoming meeting. These comments will be read aloud at the meeting, but limited to three minutes. The deadline to submit by social media is 5:00 pm on Tuesday,September 22.
Note: If the same comment is made via multiple methods, only one will be used in the meeting with the voicemail taking first priority. Public comment must be submitted by
5:00 p.m. the day of the virtual meeting.
- Fire Prevention Week
- UPCOMING AGENDA ITEMS
a. Review Upcoming Agenda Items
Jamie Justice, Town Manager
Summary: The Town Manager will review upcoming agenda items.
- SUMMARIZE MEETING ACTION ITEMS –Town Manager will summarize items where the board has requested action items for staff.
For more information, please contact Town Clerk Betsy Shores at [email protected] or 704-940-9614.
Community members requiring reasonable accommodation (such as an interpreter or other auxiliary aids) to access public meetings should contact Town Clerk Betsy Shores prior to the meeting at 704-940-9614 or [email protected].