Men’s Basketball Set to Host High Point in 2020-21 Opener
DAVIDSON WILDCATS (0-0)
Head Coach: Bob McKillop (Hofstra, 1972)
Career Record: 594-364 (32nd season), Record at Davidson: Same
HIGH POINT PANTHERS (0-0)
Head Coach: Tubby Smith (High Point, 1973)
Career Record: 613-317 (29th season), Record at High Point: 25-38 (3rd season)
Date | Time: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 | 7:00 PM
Location: Davidson, N.C.
Site (Capacity): John M. Belk Arena (4,300)
Radio: Davidson Radio Network
Live Stats: DavidsonWildcats.com
INSIDE THE SERIES
Series Record: Davidson leads, 2-1
Streak: Won 1
Last Meeting: 1943-44 Season, Davidson W, 67-38
Last Davidson Win: 1943-44 Season, W, 67-38
Last High Point Win: 1934-35 Season, W, 31-30
First Meeting: 1924-25 Season, Davidson W, 45-28
Davidson Record at Home: 1-0
Davidson Record on Road: 1-1
Davidson Record at Neutral Site: 0-0
Bob McKillop‘s Record: 0-0
• Davidson returns four starters from last year’s team that went 16-14 overall and finished 10-8 in Atlantic 10 play.
• Among those returning are three-time all-conference performer Kellan Grady (17.2 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 1.1 spg) and fellow double-figure scorers from a year ago, Carter Collins (10.0 ppg, 3.8 rpg, .811 FT%) and Luka Brajkovic (10.3 ppg, 5.0 rpg, .519 FG%).
• Senior Bates Jones, junior Nelson Boachie-Yiadom, redshirt sophomores Michael Jones and David Czerapowicz, sophomore David Kristensen, and 2020 A-10 all-rookie selection Hyunjung Lee are also back for the ‘Cats.
• As a team, Davidson finished the regular season ranked among league leaders in scoring offense (4th/72.7), scoring margin (5th/+5.2), field-goal percentage (4th/.453), 3-point field-goal percentage (2nd/.368), 3-pointers per game (1st/9.1), free-throw percentage (2nd/.762) and assist/turnover ratio (3rd/1.27).
• In addition to its returnees, Davidson welcomes freshmen Grant Huffman (Aurora, Ohio), Emory Lanier (Atlanta, Ga.) and Sam Mennenga (Auckland, New Zealand) to the 2020-21 roster.
• Head coach Bob McKillop is entering his 32nd season at the helm.
• Davidson has appeared in 23 postseason appearances, including 17 under McKillop.
• The 10-time Conference Coach of the Year has won more games in Davidson and league history than any other coach thanks to an all-time mark of 594-364.
• He is just six wins shy of 600 for his career and would become the 39th (14th active) head coach with at least 600 victories at the Division I level.
• Entering the 2020-21 campaign, his victory total ranks 18th on the NCAA’s list of Division I winningest active coaches. McKillop also ranks fourth among active coaches on the NCAA’s list of most seasons with their current school.
• In six seasons in the Atlantic 10, the ‘Cats have won a regular season title (2015), tournament title (2018) and totaled 69 league wins (11.5 per year).
• The Wildcats have six players with international roots – Mennenga (Auckland, New Zealand), Czerapowicz (Gothenburg, Sweden), Boachie-Yiadom (London, England), Brajkovic (Feldkirch, Austria), Kristensen (Aarhus, Denmark) and Lee (Yongin City, South Korea).
• Davidson has an all-time record of 74-33 (.691) in season openers.
• Under head coach Bob McKillop, the Wildcats hold a mark of 16-15 in season openers.
• 10 of Davidson’s season-opening losses during McKillop’s tenure have come at the hand of teams
from either the ACC, SEC, Atlantic 10 or Big 12, and seven have been against ranked opponents.
• Davidson will travel to Asheville, N.C. for the 2020 Maui Invitational Nov. 30 – Dec. 2.
• The Wildcats, who are making their second appearance in the annual event, will face Texas in the opening round and either Indiana or Providence on day two.
• North Carolina, UNLV, Stanford and Alabama are on the other side of the bracket.