Men’s Basketball Starts A-10 Play on Wednesday
DAVIDSON WILDCATS (5-3, 1-0 ATLANTIC 10)
Head Coach: Bob McKillop (Hofstra, 1972)
Career Record: 599-367 (32nd season), Record at Davidson: Same
RICHMOND SPIDERS (6-2, 0-0 ATLANTIC 10)
Head Coach: Chris Mooney (Princeton, 1994)
Career Record: 298-235 (17th season), Record at Richmond: 280-223 (16th season)
Date | Time: December 30, 2020 | 7 PM
Location: Davidson, N.C.
Site (Capacity): John M. Belk Arena (4,300)
Radio: Davidson Radio Network
TV: CBS Sports Network
Live Stats: DavidsonWildcats.com
Series Record: Davidson leads, 35-19
Streak: Lost 2
Last Meeting: March 2, 2020
Last Davidson Win: March 9, 2019, W 73-69 (Away)
Last Richmond Win: March 2, 2020 | W, 80-63 (Away)
First Meeting: 1939-40 Season; Richmond W, 33-32
Davidson Record at Home: 18-6
Davidson Record on Road: 14-13
Davidson Record at Neutral Site: 3-0
Bob McKillop‘s Record: 7-6
• After an eight-day break for the Holiday, Davidson resumes Atlantic 10 play Wednesday with a 7 p.m. tip against league-favorite Richmond.
• Winners of four out of their last five, the Wildcats enter 5-3 overall and 1-0 in the conference following an 85-65 win over Vanderbilt on Dec. 22.
• The ‘Cats are 70-39 in A-10 regular season play, including 10-8 last year, and 68-36 including A-10 tournament play, since joining the league in 2014.
• Five of Davidson’s first seven conference games are against teams that were projected to finish in the Top-6 of the preseason poll.
• Through eight games, Davidson’s starting backcourt of Kellan Grady (17.9), Hyunjung Lee (17.5) and Carter Collins (14.5) are combining to average 49.9 points per game. (See Page 2 of Notes)
• Head Coach Bob McKillop is just one win shy of 600 for his career.
• Davidson has won 39 of its last 44 games on McKillop Court.
LAST TIME OUT
• Offensive rebounds and second-chance points powered Davidson past Vanderbilt, 85-65, Dec. 22 in Belk Arena, giving the Wildcats two straight victories entering the holiday break.
• The victory is No. 599 for head coach Bob McKillop.
• His Wildcats dominated the boards, overpowering the Commodores with a 47-29 advantage and scored 27 points after an initial miss. In all, Davidson had 16 offensive boards, with Hyunjung Lee and Sam Mennenga securing three apiece.
• Lee led the way offensively with 23 points, while Carter Collins scored 22 for the second game in a row. Kellan Grady chipped in 19 points while leading the defensive effort against Scotty Pippen, Jr., and Michael Jones added a season-high 11 points off the bench.
• After building a 35-29 halftime lead, Davidson shot 54 percent to pull away in the second half. The lead reached double digits for the first time at 42-31 following a Luka Brajkovic dunk at the 16:20 mark, and the Wildcats kept the Commodores at bay from there, with Lee and Collins scoring 13 and 12 in the second 20 minutes.
• Pippen paced Vanderbilt with 19 of his 24 points coming in the second half.
• Davidson will travel to Richmond, Va., for a 2:30 p.m. tip with VCU on Jan. 2.
• Through eight games, Davidson’s starting backcourt of Kellan Grady (17.9), Hyunjung Lee (17.5) and Carter Collins (14.5) are combining to average 49.9 points per game.
• In addition, the trio is averaging 13.8 rebounds while shooting 50.1% (130-259) from the floor and 44.2% (61-138 | 7.6 per game) from 3-point land.
• Grady, Lee and Collins have each recorded three 20-point efforts this season.
CLOSING IN ON 600
• Head coach Bob McKillop is just one win shy of 600 for his career.
• He would become the 40th (15th active) head coach with at least 600 wins at the Division I level.