Men’s Tennis Falls to Furman in Season Opener
DAVIDSON, N.C. — The Davidson College men’s tennis team fell to the Furman Paladins 5-2 on Saturday in the Wildcats’ first contest of the 2021 season.
The ‘Cats dropped the doubles point to Furman, but junior Sam Kavarana and freshman Maxwell Kachkarov came away with singles wins.
“We had a great effort from the guys today,” said Head Coach Drew Barrett. “We had our chances and competed well. It’s a good start for us against a very good Furman team.”
In doubles, the ‘Cats dropped all three matchups, but Kachkarov and Alejandro Solares battled the Paladins and fell by just one point, dropping the set 7-6.
Kavarana picked up his first singles victory of the year in a three-set match against Furman’s Jake Bhangdia. The Charleston native won sets one and three, 6-3, but fell in the second, 6-2. Dating back to last season, Kavarana has now won three straight singles matches.
Kachkarov also won his court, in his Davidson debut, knocking off Paladin Drew Singerman in two sets, 7-6 and 7-5.
Elsewhere in singles, Yash Parikh fell 6-4 in both sets on court one, and William Clark dropped his match by two sets, both at 7-6 scores. Brooks Green and Alejandro Solares fell in three sets on court three and five, respectively.
The ‘Cats will return to the court next Sunday, Jan. 24, for an 11 a.m. matchup against Elon.
Furman 5, Davidson College 2
- Ivan Mitric (FUR) def. Yash Parikh (DAVM) 6-4, 6-4
- Sam Kavarana (DAVM) def. Jake Bhangdia (FUR) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
- Henrik Atlevi (FUR) def. Brooks Green (DAVM) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Maxwell Kachkarov (DAVM) def. Drew Singerman (FUR) 7-5, 7-6 (7-5)
- Emil Westling (FUR) def. William Clark (DAVM) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-5)
- James Roelofse (FUR) def. Alejandro Solares (DAVM) 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
- Jake Bhangdia/James Roelofse (FUR) def. Yash Parikh/William Clark (DAVM) 7-5
- Ivan Mitric/Drew Singerman (FUR) def. Maxwell Kachkarov/Alejandro Solares (DAVM) 7-6
- Henrik Atlevi/Emil Westling (FUR) def. Camden Mazzoni/Douglas Macintosh (DAVM) 6-3