Men’s Tennis Drops Match at VA Tech
BLACKSBURG, Va. — In taking on their second ACC opponent already this season, the Davidson Wildcats traveled to Virginia Tech this afternoon for a weekend non-conference tilt. The ‘Cats battled the Hokies all day, but Virginia Tech ultimately came up with the 7-0 victory.
Camden Mazzoni highlighted the day, as the Wildcat fought through a three-set match to Virginia Tech’s Chrysostom, on court six. After falling behind 2-6 in set one, the Massachusetts native bounced back and won set two 6-1. From there, Mazzoni tied the Hokie in the third, and forced an ultimate tiebreaker set where the two went back and forth until Virginia Tech ultimately came out with the third-set victory.
Maxwell Kachkarov and Alejandro Solares continued to shine for the Wildcats, as the freshmen duo was winning 5-2 from the No. 1 doubles court, before the Hokies had eventually clinched the doubles point with victories on courts two and three. As of today, Kachkarov and Solares have now competed as Davidson’s No. 1 doubles unit for the third consecutive time this season.
William Clark and Kachkarov hung tough in their respective singles battles with Virginia Tech, while Clark fell by 6-1 and 6-4 scores and Kachkarov dropped two sets in 6-3, 6-1 results. Yash Parikh also played a hard-fought match against #38, nationally ranked, Mitch Harper. Parikh has been the No. 1 singles staple in Davidson’s lineup thus far this season.
After today, Davidson drops to 1-4 on the season while the Hokies improve to 3-2. The ‘Cats will be back in action next Saturday, Feb. 20, to take on NC A&T from inside the Knobloch Tennis Center.
Virginia Tech Hokies 7, Davidson College 0
1. #38 Mitch Harper (VT) def. Parikh,Yash (DAVM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Carlo Donato (VT) def. Kachkarov,Maxwell (DAVM) 6-3, 6-1
3. Matthis Ross (VT) def. Kavarna,Sam (DAVM) 6-0, 6-3
4. Hugo Maia (VT) def. Clark,William (DAVM) 6-1, 6-4
5. Ryan Fishback (VT) def. Solares,Alejandro (DAVM) 6-0, 6-3
6. Jordan Chrysostom (VT) def. Mazzoni,Camden (DAVM) 6-2, 1-6, 1-0 (11-9)
1. Alex Ribeiro/Ryan Kros (VT) vs. Kachkarov,Maxwell/Solares,Alejandro (DAVM) 2-5, unfinished
2. Mitch Harper/Jordan Chrysostom (VT) def. Parikh,Yash/Macintosh,Douglas (DAVM) 6-2
3. Matthis Ross/Hugo Maia (VT) def. Mazzoni,Camden/Clark,William (DAVM) 6-2