Wildcat Men’s Tennis Drops Match to Gardner Webb
BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. — The Davidson men’s tennis team dropped its second straight match by a 5-2 result on Sunday, after a slow start allowed Gardner-Webb to come away with the win.
Despite strong showings on the doubles courts, the ‘Cats dropped all three matches. Sam Kavarana and Camden Mazzoni battled to a 7-5 result against the Bulldog’s No. 3 team, while Maxwell Kachkarov and Ogden Timpson fell 6-3 on court one and Douglas Macintosh and Yash Parikh dropped a 6-2 result from court two.
Kachkarov and Mazzoni highlighted Davidson’s day, as Kachkarov picked up an impressive three-set win, after winning the tiebreaker 10-5 on court two. Mazzoni’s victory came in dominating fashion, as the senior swept the sets in 6-1, 6-3 scores for the Wildcats’ second point of the match. Kavarana was bumped to Davidson’s No. 1 slot for the first time this season, despite falling 2-6 and 1-6.
With today’s results, the ‘Cats move to 4-9 on the year and will continue their road trip into next week, taking on North Carolina Central and Richmond.
Gardner-Webb 5, Davidson College 2
1. PUTTER,Victor (GWUM) def. Sam Kavarana (DAVM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Maxwell Kachkarov (DAVM) def. VAN WYK,Chrisjan (GWUM) 1-6, 7-6 (8-6), 1-0 (10-5)
3. PLENTZ,Breno (GWUM) def. Yash Parikh (DAVM) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
4. Camden Mazzoni (DAVM) def. ENSLIN,Connor (GWUM) 6-1, 6-3
5. HARRIS,Sebastian (GWUM) def. Ogden Timpson (DAVM) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
6. SPRING,John (GWUM) def. Douglas Macintosh (DAVM) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-1)