Women’s Tennis Cruises Past Patriots, Advances to A-10 Quarterfinals
ORLANDO, Fla. — The Davidson women’s tennis team cruised through the first round of the Atlantic 10 Championships on Wednesday, downing the George Mason Patriots in a dominating 4-0 fashion.
“We definitely had some nerves with it being the first match and worked through it,” said Head Coach Susanne Depka. “We competed well in the doubles, fought hard all the way to the end and were able to take the point. Overall, we did really well and had great energy and mindsets through the entire match. Mason didn’t give up and we had to take it from them, which I’m proud we were able to do.”
The Wildcats jumped out strong to start off doubles play, as No. 1 duo Josie Schaffer and Elizabeth Truluck took off to a strong 5-3 lead. The Patriots worked their way back into the match however, and made things close, but the doubles team came out on top with a 7-5 victory. From court three, Mira Gladstone and Victoria Anyanwu also competed in a tight match, ultimately being forced into a tiebreaker set but pulling out the 7-6 win overall.
With the first point of the day in Davidson’s favor, the ‘Cats would need just three more points to secure the victory. Doing just that, Gladstone, Ava Ignatowich and Franny Shea got the job done. From court three, Gladstone clinched the second point early, downing Mason’s Crowell in two quick 6-1, 6-0 sets. Rookie Ignatowich picked up a singles win after one of the George Mason Patriots was forced to retire the set on court four, and Shea capped off the day with a bounce-back third-set win to earn the victory for Davidson.
#6 DAVIDSON def. #11 GEORGE MASON, 4-0
1. Josie Schaffer (DAV) vs. Paige La (MASON) 6-0, 2-6, 4-3, DNF
2. Elizabeth Truluck (DAV) vs. Brianna Gibbs (MASON) 7-5, 4-5, DNF
3. Mira Gladstone (DAV) def. Savanna Crowell (MASON) 6-1, 6-0
4. Ava Ignatowich (DAV) def. Hannah Yang (MASON) 4-6, 5-2, ret.
5. Franny Shea (DAV) def. Jackie Nannery (MASON) 6-0, 2-6, 6-0
6. Ashley Fitz-Patrick (MASON) vs. Charlotte James (DAV) 7-5, 3-6, DNF
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 5
1. Josie Schaffer/Elizabeth Truluck (DAV) def. Jackie Nannery/Frankie Trella (MASON) 7-5
2. Paige La/Hannah Yang (MASON) def. Franny Shea/Charlotte James (DAV) 7-6(1)
3. Mira Gladstone/Victoria Anyanwu (DAV) def. Savanna Crowell/Christine McCarthy (MASON) 7-6(5)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3