Donate! Support your community news.
Subscribe! News delivered to your inbox.

Burn Ban Issued for All North Carolina Counties

by | Dec 1, 2021

North Carolina Forest Service responds to hazardous conditions

Due to increased fire risk, the North Carolina Forest Service has issued an immediate ban on all open burning and has canceled all burning permits statewide effective until further notice.

Under North Carolina law, the ban prohibits all open burning in all counties, regardless of whether a permit was previously issued. The issuance of any new permits has also been suspended until the ban is lifted. Anyone violating the burn ban faces a $100 fine plus court costs. Any person responsible for setting a fire may be liable for any expenses related to extinguishing the fire.

“Due to the extremely dry conditions in our area, we’re at an increased risk for wildfire activity,” said Davidson Fire Chief Ryan Monteith. “With a statewide burn ban, the goal is that fewer fires will start and spread uncontrollably. Our primary concern is the safety of the residents of Davidson and the fire department will do everything possible to protect lives, property, and the natural assets in our community.”

The NC Forest Service will continue to monitor conditions. Davidson residents with questions regarding specifics for Mecklenburg County can reach out to the Mecklenburg County Fire Marshal’s Office for more details.


Q: What is open burning?

A: Open burning includes burning leaves, branches or other plant material. In all cases, burning trash, lumber, tires, newspapers, plastics or other nonvegetative material is illegal.

Q: May I still use my grill or barbecue?

A: Yes, no other local ordinances currently prohibit their use.

Q: Does this apply to my fire pit?

A: The burn ban does not apply to fires started within 100 feet of an occupied
dwelling. Fires within those 100 feet must be confined within an enclosure from which burning material may not escape or within a protected area upon which a watch is being maintained and which is provided with adequate fire protection equipment. The local Fire Marshal has authority to issue a burn ban within 100 feet of an occupied dwelling, but Mecklenburg County has not done so at this time.

Q: How should I report a wildfire?

A: Call 911 to report a wildfire.

Q: Can I have a campfire when I go camping?

A: Campfires would be considered open burning and are not exempt from the burn ban. During a burn ban, portable gas stoves or grills are alternate methods for cooking food while camping.

Q: What can I do to protect my house against the risk of wildfire?

A: Learn about wildfire risk assessments and preparedness and prevention plans on the NC Forest Service website at or


Support Your Community News