Women’s Basketball is Back: Opens League Play at Bonaventure Wednesday
DAVIDSON, N.C. — After a 21-day hiatus, the Davidson Wildcats will return to game action on Wednesday night, set to take on St. Bonaventure University in their Atlantic 10 league opener.
Tip off is scheduled for 6 p.m. from Olean, NY. For complete game coverage, visit davidsonwildcats.com/coverage.
- Wednesday’s meeting will be the 11th all-time meeting between Davidson and St. Bonaventure.
- Last year, Davidson and St. Bonaventure met three times, twice during the regular season and in the opening round of the Atlantic 10 Tournament.
- Davidson’s last two wins over the Bonnies came in the A-10 Tournament first round (2021, 2019).
- The Bonnies hold the all-time series advantage at a 6-4 clip, while the ‘Cats are 1-5 when facing St. Bonaventure inside the Reilly Center. Davidson is 2-6 all-time when facing the Bonnies during the regular season and 2-0 in the postseason.
- A win on Wednesday would be Davidson’s fifth straight win and 10th of the season, surpass Davidson’s win total from last season (9-14) and be Davidson’s first regular season win over the Bonnies since February 9, 2019.
Five Things to Know
WHERE YOU BEEN… The Wildcats enter Wednesday’s meeting with St. Bonaventure after a 21-day break from game action due to COVID-19 protocols. So far this season, the ‘Cats are 9-3 overall and ended non-conference play with their best record since the 2006-07 non-conference season. Winners of four straight, Davidson will look to pick up where they left off last month as they open Atlantic 10 league play with the Bonnies.
LAST TIME OUT… The last time the ‘Cats took to the floor, Davidson produced one of its best offensive outings in seven years. Against cross-county rival UNC Charlotte, the Wildcats downed the 49ers, 79-65, after shooting 56.6 percent from the floor for the program’s best offensive outing since February 2014. The ‘Cats drained 30 field goals and nailed six three’s in the victory.
THE NEWBIES… Davidson newcomers Issy Morgan and Elle Sutphin have made a splash so far this season, as the duo averages 8.6 and 12.9 points per game, respectively. Morgan, a freshman out of Sydney Australia, has captured three A-10 Rookie of the Week honors in her debut season, while Sutphin earned her first A-10 Player of the Week honor on Dec. 27 after averaging 17 points per game in a 2-0 week for the ‘Cats.
GOULD AS GOLD… As Davidson’s floor general, senior Cassidy Gould is averaging 7.9 points per game this season and is averaging 11.3 points per game over her last three games. The Aussie native has shot 9-of-12 from beyond the arc over that span and dished five assists.
TOP HEAVY… Davidson’s 15-woman roster consists of seven returners who combine for over 8,000 minutes played throughout their careers heading into 2021-22. Senior captain Cassidy Gould has the most on-court experience in her tenure, totaling 2,339 minutes played heading into her senior year and averages 27.5 minutes of action per game. Suzi-Rose Deegan also returns to the ‘Cats with an Atlantic 10 Preseason All-Conference Third Team selection, despite appearing in just 10 games last season due to injury. During the 2019-20 campaign Deegan made an immediate impact in the league, garnering an A-10 Rookie of the Year nod at the conclusion of the season. In her last three games, Deegan is averaging 13.7 points per game and recorded her first double-double of the season against Charlotte on Dec. 22, scoring 15 points and grabbing 10 rebounds while dishing five assists.