Sign Up for Civics 101 – New Class Launches in March!
Are you interested in learning more about the Town of Davidson? Please consider registering for our redesigned Civics 101 program! This free course is open to people who live or work in Davidson (within the town limits or within the extra-territorial jurisdiction) and who are 18 and older.
Participants will have the opportunity to learn about town history, see how all town departments operate and contribute to town-wide initiatives, and meet with our elected officials. Applicants should not expect eight weeks of lectures, but rather engaging classes with active discussion, facility and town tours, and the chance to get an inside look at how local government works in Davidson.
“We are thrilled to have the opportunity to invite residents back into town hall to offer Civics 101 again. It’s a fantastic program that allows for great interaction between community members and town staff, and we have missed being able to offer it in person during the height of the pandemic,” said Town Manager Jamie Justice. “We’ll be back this spring with a fresh perspective and can’t wait to engage with program participants in this unique and worthwhile course.”
Class and Registration Information
- Classes will be held in-person beginning Thursday, March 31, 2022.
- Classes will conclude with a combined 5:00 p.m. session on Tuesday, May 24 which will be followed by participant recognition at that evening’s Davidson Board of Commissioners meeting (6:00 p.m.).
- Participants can sign up for either the 9:30-11:30 a.m. class or the 6:00-8:00 p.m. evening class.
- Acceptance is on a first come, first serve basis, and participants must commit to attending all eight sessions.
- In order to offer Civics 101, each class must enroll a minimum of 15 participants.
- The maximum enrollment for each class is 20 participants.
- The class will continue to be respectful of COVID-19 protocols and respond to any necessary changes to programming.
- Applications are currently available at www.townofdavidson.org/Civics101. A printed version is available in the town hall lobby.
- Registration will close on Thursday, March 16 at 5:00 p.m.
Davidson residents Ted and Judy Stauffer said, “After we took Civics 101, we knew with absolute certainty that our decision to move to Davidson was right! We learned so much from the dedicated and professional staff about the town’s daily operations and what it takes to make Davidson a great place to live. Thank you for a most informative and positive look into the operations of our town.”
To see a full schedule of this year’s classes, visit www.townofdavidson.org/Civics101.
For more information about the program, contact Amanda Preston at 704-940-9602 or [email protected].