ReadDavidson Committee Announces Upcoming Events
The ReadDavidson Committee is excited to announce details for several early April events, geared towards preschool-aged children through young adults, as well as to invite community members to “save the date” for three events in late April/early May.
- Monday, April 4 at 8:45 a.m. (grades K-3): Story Boat with author Kyo Maclear and illustrator Rashin Kheiriyeh. This is a virtual school event. Teachers in Davidson area schools, as well homeschooling families, can request access to the event here.
- Wednesday, April 6 at 5:00 p.m. (grade 7 and up): “On writing, YA literature, and social justice” with What Makes Us author Rafi Mittlefehldt and Davidson K8 teacher Paul Roncone. Register for this virtual author talk here.
- Thursday, April 7 at 10:20 a.m. (grades 4-8): When Stars Are Scattered with author Victoria Jamieson. This is a virtual school event. Teachers in Davidson area schools, as well as homeschooling families, can request access to the event here.
For descriptions of all three of these book selections please see the ReadDavidson webpage at www.townofdavidson.org/readdavidson.
To donate books to schools, either purchase one or more of the titles above at Main Street Books or enter code RD22DONATION at checkout on Main Street Books.
Main Street Books will host three events in conjunction with the adult fiction selection, Infinite Country by Patricia Engel. Save the following dates and stay tuned for more information as details become available.
- Thursday, April 21 at 7:00 p.m.: a virtual panel discussing immigration
- Tuesday, May 3 at 5:00 p.m.: an in-person book discussion hosted outside behind Summit Coffee
- Saturday, May 7: a Town Day service activity benefiting Refugee Support Services
“We were thrilled by the record-breaking participation in last year’s ReadDavidson virtual events, and we’re looking forward to another year with robust virtual programming — plus opportunities for Davidson readers to come together safely in person,” says Beth Helfrich, Events Manager at Main Street Books and ReadDavidson committee member.
For all the latest ReadDavidson information see www.townofdavidson.org/readdavidson. This page includes book descriptions, links to purchase any (or all!) of the titles at a 10% discount from our local favorite Main Street Books, and more!
ReadDavidson, an annual town-wide reading initiative that started in 2007, is a partnership between the Town of Davidson, the Davidson Public Library, Main Street Books, and local avid readers. The ReadDavidson committee encourages people to read a selected book and attend fun book-related events that make the books come to life.