Sneak Peak Into 251 South Street Renovations
Progress continues on the renovation of 251 South Street – the facility that will become Davidson’s new Town Hall/Town Center.
An album of photos taken during a recent tour can be seen here.
In the Fall of 2018, the Davidson Town Board was able to purchase the 33,500 square foot historic school building at 251 South Street. Built in 1948, the structure has two main floors and a smaller basement area. The purchase also included the 5.28-acre lot and the historic gymnasium building, built in 1937, which is located behind the main building.
In November 2019, Davidson voters approved a $14 million general obligation bond project to renovate the main structure at 251 South Street and the existing Town Hall located at 216 S. Main Street. Once the Town staff moves into the renovated offices at 251 South Street, the current Town Hall will be converted into Davidson’s Police and Fire Department headquarters. Both those staffs current occupy space in the facility, but in cramped quarters.
The long-range plan is that a new site will be selected to relocate Fire Station #1 – currently located in the basement of 216 S. Main Street.
In August 2020, the Mecklenburg County Historic Landmarks Commission approved the Town’s plan to renovate the historic structure. [read the News of Davidson update]
In February 2021, the Town Board gathered at the site and conducted a “Virtual Groundbreaking.” The event was livestreamed, and the small group on site wore masks and hard hats.
Last September, the town provided this update.