Foundation Makes Grant for Historic Lingle Hut
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission recently shared the following:
We have good news to share!
The Marion Stedman Covington Foundation has awarded $10k to the Reeves Temple AME Zion Church in support of the renovation of the historic Unity Church Cabin/Lingle Hut, located at 219 Watson Street in Davidson. The Unity Church Cabin was built by Davidson’s mill workers in 1932 and was the first Depression-era, Rustic Revival, communally-built log building in Mecklenburg County. In 1966, the Unity Church and Cabin were sold to the Reeves Temple AME Zion Church. At the request of church member Cecelia Conner, businessman and Davidson native Walter Lingle Jr. agreed to help the church finance the property with the condition that the Unity Church Cabin be renamed the Lingle Hut to honor his mother, Louise Lingle, who taught Sunday School in the log building.
Throughout its existence, the cabin has had many uses from picnics to fellowship events and it continues to play an important role in the Town of Davidson’s history. The Unity Church Cabin/Lingle Hut was designated as a local historic landmark in 2008.
More on the Unity Church Cabin/Lingle Hut: http://landmarkscommission.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Unity-Church-Cabin-Lingle-Hut1-SR.pdf