Men’s Basketball to Hold Red/Black Scrimmage Saturday
DAVIDSON, N.C. – Davidson will hold its annual Red/Black men’s basketball scrimmage Saturday at 2:30 p.m. inside John M. Belk Arena. The exhibition is open to the public and admission is free.
The team will be introduced prior to the scrimmage, while Head Coach Matt McKillop and the Wildcats will take part in a post-game question and answer session with fans in the Baker Sports Complex lobby following the game.
2022-23 Davidson Men’s Basketball Preseason Notes
- The Wildcats will tip the 2022-23 campaign on Nov. 7 when Guilford visits Belk Arena.
- A return to the Charleston Classic and date with Purdue in the Indy Classic highlight the non-conference slate. Atlantic 10 conference play begins Dec. 28 at Fordham.
- Under the direction of first-year head coach Matt McKillop, the Wildcats return two starters from last year’s club that finished 27-7 overall and captured the 2021-22 Atlantic 10 regular season championship, while earning the program’s 15th NCAA Tournament appearance.
- Among those returning include second-team all-conference selection Foster Loyer and Sam Mennenga.
- As a redshirt junior, Loyer averaged a team-best 16.2 points per game, led the country in free-throw percentage (93.6%) and finished fourth nationally in 3-point field-goal percentage, shooting 43.8 percent (74-169).
- Loyer was voted to the 2022-23 preseason all-conference first team, while the Wildcats have been predicted to finish sixth in the league standings.
- Mennenga averaged 8.4 points and 5.3 rebounds per game as a redshirt sophomore, while shooting 51.9 percent overall and 46.7 percent from 3-point range. Over his last eight contests, the 6-8 forward scored in double figures six times, including a career-high 18 points versus Richmond in the A-10 championship, and capped by a 15-point effort against Michigan State on March’s biggest stage, the NCAA Tournament.
- Since joining the A-10 in 2014-15, Davidson has won two regular season titles (2015, 2022), a tournament title (2018), made three NCAA Tournaments (2015, 2018, 2022) and totaled 91 league wins (11.3 per year). The Wildcats have recorded an average finish of 4.0 in the 14-team conference and made the tournament semifinals each year.
- Junior Grant Huffman (4.2 ppg | 2.3 rpg | 1.5 apg) and sophomore Desmond Watson (2.9 ppg | 1.3 rpg), both who made strong contributions down the stretch in 2021-22, are also back for the ‘Cats.
- In all, Davidson returns six letterwinners and welcomes the addition of transfers Connor Kochera (William & Mary) and David Skogman (Buffalo) and newcomers Reed Bailey (Harvard, Mass.), Riccardo Ghedini (Milano, Italy), Sean Logan (Westfield, N.J.), Chris Sosnik (Washington, D.C.), Achile Spadone (Geneva, Switzerland), Brock Matheny (Davidson, N.C.) and Joe Thomson (Sunderland, Mass.).
- Over the summer, Joshua Heyliger was promoted to assistant coach, Matt Matheny returned to the Wildcat bench where he spent 16 seasons before serving as the head coach at Elon University and Matt Williams ’16 was named the director of operations.