Men’s Basketball Set to Open Charleston Classic Against Old Rival
DAVIDSON COLLEGE WILDCATS
Atlantic 10 Record: 0-0
Head Coach: Matt McKillop (Davidson, 2006)
Career Record: 3-0 (First Season)
Record at Davidson: Same
Locations: Charleston, S.C. | Site: TD Arena (5,100)
Radio: Davidson Radio Network
vs. Colorado State: N/A
vs. Furman: Davidson leads, 101-61
vs. Old Dominion: N/A
vs. Penn State: Penn State leads, 1-0
vs. South Carolina: South Carolina leads, 39-27
vs. Virginia Tech: Tied, 19-19
- Davidson is making its fourth appearance (2009, 2013, 2018) in the Charleston Classic.
- The ‘Cats will face College of Charleston in the quarterfinals Thursday at 7 p.m. and either Colorado State or South Carolina on day two.
- The Wildcats enter 3-0 on the young season following a 75-71 win over VMI.
- On Monday, senior Foster Loyer was named Atlantic 10 Player of the Week.
- The preseason all-conference selection finished the opening week of the 2022-23 season averaging 28.3 points, 6.3 rebounds, 5.7 assists and 1.7 steals per game. In addition, he shot 46.7 percent (14-30) from 3-point range and converted 25-of-29 (.862) from the charity stripe.
- Through three games, Loyer is currently third nationally in scoring behind UAB’s Jordan Walker (31.5) and Temple’s Damian Dunn (29.7).
- Fellow starters Sam Mennenga (12.3), Grant Huffman (11.3) and Reed Bailey (10.3) are also averaging double figures for the Wildcats.
- Davidson has a record of 3-6 in the Charleston Classic, with its best showing coming in 2018 when the Wildcats finished in third place with wins over Wichita State and Northeastern.
- This marks the seventh consecutive season the Wildcats will play in one of ESPN’s MTEs (multi-team event).
- Davidson is no stranger to Charleston as the ‘Cats are 78-60 all-time in the Port City.
- The Wildcats captured four (2002, 2006, 2007, 2008) of their 12 SoCon Tournament titles in Charleston.
Southern Conference Tournament: 13-3
at The Citadel: 36-35
at College of Charleston: 23-11 | 3-3 at TD Arena
at Charleston Southern: 0-2
Charleston Classic Record: 3-6
TD Arena Record: 6-9
LAST TIME OUT | DAVIDSON 75, VMI 71
- Foster Loyer paced five Davidson players in double figures as the Wildcats held off VMI, 75-71, in non-conference men’s basketball action Sunday afternoon inside John M. Belk Arena.
- Loyer, who entered as the nation’s leading scorer at 34.0 points per game, finished with 17 to go along with 4 rebounds and 5 assists.
- Backcourt mate Grant Huffman added 15 on 7-of-12 shooting, while Desmond Watson and Connor Kochera had 11 each and Sam Mennengascored 10 and hauled in 6 boards.
- After Kochera pushed the ‘Cats’ margin back to double digits, 55-44, with his third trey of the contest, VMI slowly chipped away and eventually made it a one-point game with seven ticks remaining.
- Davidson, which finished 13-of-17 from the charity stripe, got a pair of free throws from David Skogman and Loyer in the waning seconds to secure the win.
- Tony Felder scored a game-high 22 points for VMI, which shot 68.2 percent (15-22) after intermission to climb back in the game.
- The Wildcats used a 13-4 run midway through the first 20 minutes to grab control before going to the half up, 38-24.
- Following the Charleston Classic, Davidson will return home to John M. Belk Arena on Friday, Nov. 25 for a 2 p.m. tip against San Francisco.