Football Hosts Dayton on Senior Day
2022 Record: 7-3 (5-2 PFL)
2021 Record: 8-3 (7-1 PFL)
Head Coach: Scott Abell
Davidson Record: 33-18, 5th year
Career Record: 72-42, 11th year
2022 Record: 8-2 (6-1 PFL)
2021 Record: 6-4 (6-3 PFL)
Head Coach: Rick Chamberlin
Dayton Record: 107-47, 14th year
Career Record: Same
INSIDE THE SERIES
Series Record : Dayton leads, 14-1
First Meeting: Dayton W, 49-7 (9/16/89)
Last Meeting: Dayton W, 38-29 (11/13/21)
Streak: Dayton Won 10
In Davidson: Dayton leads, 7-1
In Dayton: Dayton leads, 7-0
Abell vs. Dayton: 0-2
1ST AND 10
- Davidson will conclude its 2022 regular season Saturday with a 1 p.m. “Senior Day” contest against Dayton.
- The Wildcats, who control their FCS Playoff destiny, enter 7-3 overall and 5-2 in PFL action following a 31-14 setback at San Diego last weekend.
- With a win over Dayton (8-2, 6-1 PFL), Davidson will punch its third straight ticket to the playoffs by virtue of the league’s automatic bid.
- St. Thomas, which is atop the league standings at 7-0, is not eligible to receive the league’s automatic berth into the FCS Playoffs.
- Saturday’s matchup will feature the league’s top rushing offense against the league’s top rushing defense.
- In addition to leading the nation in rushing offense (357.4), Davidson ranks among FCS leaders in total offense (477.2 | 7th), passing efficiency (187.6 | 2nd), scoring offense (35.9 | 14th), total defense (325.0 | T-20th) and time of possession (34:10 | 5th).
- Davidson is 13-5 in conference home games since Head Coach Scott Abell took over in 2018.
- The Wildcats have won nine straight PFL games at home and 12 consecutive overall.
- Davidson will finish the 2022 campaign with its fifth straight winning season, marking just the fourth time in program history the Wildcats have accomplished that feat.
SCOUTING THE FLYERS
- Winners of five straight, Dayton enters 8-2 overall and 6-1 in league play following a 49-27 win over Morehead State last weekend.
- Led by Jake Chisholm, the league’s second-leading rusher (97.4), the Flyers rank third in the PFL in rushing offense (202.4).
- Chisholm, the reigning PFL Offensive Player of the Week, leads the league with 15 touchdowns.
- Dayton also ranks among conference leaders in total defense (339.4 / 3rd), scoring defense (22.3 / 3rd) and rushing defense (92.2 / 1st).
- The Flyers have won the last 10 meetings against the Wildcats.
- Dayton’s lone loss in league play came in a 31-0 defeat at Butler.
- If Davidson wins, it will receive the Pioneer Football League’s automatic berth into the FCS Playoffs.