Town of Davidson EV Chargers Now Operational
The Town of Davidson is happy to announce that two new electric vehicle (EV) chargers are now fully operational. Last fall, Davidson was awarded participation in the Duke Energy Park & Plug Pilot Program. Installation of two new public Level 2 EV chargers began in September and is now completed. These stations are located at Davidson Town Hall (216 South Main Street) and near the Harris Teeter on Jetton Street (568 Jetton Street).
- Who owns the charging stations? Duke Energy both owns and operates the two charging stations.
- How does someone pay to charge their vehicle? Duke Energy provides a QR code on each meter that can be scanned for payment instructions. Users will be assessed a fee via smartphone, RFID card, or credit card.
- How much does it cost? There will be a nominal fee assessed by Duke Energy. Most users can expect to pay about two cents per kilowatt hour above what they pay for electricity at home.
- How long does it take to fully charge a vehicle? Every vehicle is different, but Level 2 charging can add 20-30 (or more) miles of driving range per hour.
- Will these two stations service any EV? Yes! If you have a Tesla, though, check to be sure it has a compatible adaptor for Level 2 charging.
“These new public charging stations will help more people drive electric by bringing EV technology to where we live, work, and shop. Electric vehicles will play an important role in our efforts to reduce carbon emissions change and improve air quality,” said Davidson’s Natural Assets and Sustainability Coordinator Charlene Minor. “This is a great time if you are considering a new or used EV purchase, as federal incentives are available now and in 2023. In the past few years, North Carolina EV vehicle registrations increased by 252% since March 2019, and the state expects 50% of sales of new vehicles to be zero-emission by 2030.”
For more information, please call Davidson Parks and Recreation at 704-892-3349. Please also visit www.townofdavidson.org/sustainability to learn more about Davidson’s other sustainability efforts.