RED OUT: Men’s Basketball Welcomes League Newcomer to Belk Arena Wednesday Night
DAVIDSON WILDCATS (8-6, 1-1 A-10)
Head Coach: Matt McKillop (Davidson, 2006)
Career Record: 8-6 (1st season), Record at Davidson: Same
LOYOLA RAMBLERS (6-7, 0-1 A-10)
Head Coach: Drew Valentine (Oakland, 2013)
Career Record: 31-15 (2nd season), Record at Loyola: Same
Location: Davidson, N.C.
Site: John M. Belk Arena (4,300)
Radio: Davidson Radio Network
TV: CBS Sports Network
Live Stats: DavidsonWildcats.com
Streak: Won 2
Last Meeting: Dec. 22, 2019 | Davidson W, 59-56 (Chicago, Ill.)
Last Davidson Win: Dec. 22, 2019 | W, 59-56 (Chicago, Ill.)
Last Loyola Win: N/A
First Meeting: December 28, 1973
Davidson Record at Home: 0-0
Davidson Record on Road: 1-0
Davidson Record at Neutral Site: 1-0
Matt McKillop‘s Record: 0-0
- Davidson and league-newcomer Loyola will meet for just the third time on the hardwood and first time as conference foes when they square off Wednesday night.
- The Wildcats enters the New Year 8-6 overall and 1-1 in Atlantic 10 play following a 69-55 setback to Dayton.
- Since joining the A-10 in 2014-15, Davidson has won two regular season titles (2015, 2022), a tournament title (2018), made three NCAA Tournaments (2015, 2018, 2022) and totaled 92 league wins (11.3 per year).
- The Wildcats have recorded an average finish of 4.0 in the 14-team conference and made the tournament semifinals each year.
- Preseason all-conference selection Foster Loyer continues to lead the ‘Cats in scoring, averaging 17.0 points per game.
- The red-shirt senior enters just 67 points shy of 1,000 for his career.
- Loyer ranks among league leaders in scoring (17.0/5th), 3-pointers made (36/6th), free-throw percentage (.889/1st), 3-pointers per game (2.6/6th), assists per game (5.1/2nd) and steals per game (1.9/2nd).
- Sam Mennenga is also contributing double figures (15.2 ppg) for the ‘Cats, while leading the team in rebounding (7.0 rpg).
- Coming off his sixth double-figure performance in the last eight games, sophomore Desmond Watson is averaging 11.7 points and shooting 52.9 percent from the floor over his last eight contests.
LAST TIME OUT | DAYTON – 69, DAVIDSON – 55 | DEC. 31, 2022 | DAVIDSON, N.C.
- Dayton’s late second-half surge proved to be the difference Saturday in a 69-55 Atlantic 10 win over Davidson in Belk Arena.
- Daron Holmes II scored a career-best 32 points and had 10 boards to lead the Flyers, who led throughout, with the exception of one tie.
- Davidson used a 14-3 run early in the second half to erase a 44-33 halftime deficit and pulled even at 47-all on a Desmond Watson layup with 11:09 to play. During that stretch, the Wildcats crept closer as the Flyers missed their first 12 second-half shots.
- But from there, Dayton scored the game’s next six points, including its first field goal of the half, and responded with a 14-3 run of its own to regain control. Meanwhile, Davidson went more than nine minutes between field goals, aside from a goaltending call on the Flyers.
- Watson led the Wildcats with 13 points, while Foster Loyer added 12 points and Sam Mennenga scored 11. Grant Huffman finished with nine points.
- Along with Holmes, Toumani Camara added 10 points and eight boards for the Flyers, and Mustapha Anzil had seven points and 10 rebounds.
- Davidson will travel to VCU for a noon tip Saturday afternoon.