GAME PREVIEW: Men’s Basketball and Richmond Tangle Wednesday Night in Belk
DAVIDSON WILDCATS (9-7, 2-2 A-10)
Head Coach: Matt McKillop (Davidson, 2006)
Career Record: 9-7 (1st season), Record at Davidson: Same
RICHMOND SPIDERS (9-7, 2-1 A-10)
Head Coach: Chris Mooney (Princeton, 1994)
Career Record: 339-263 (19th season), Record at Richmond: 321-251 (18th season)
Location: Davidson, N.C.
Site: John M. Belk Arena (4,300)
Radio: Davidson Radio Network
TV | Online: ESPN+ | WatchESPN.com
Streak: Lost 1
Last Meeting: 3/13/22 | Richmond W, 64-62 (A-10 Finals)
Last Davidson Win: 1/14/22 | W, 87-84 (Richmond, Va.)
Last Richmond Win: 3/13/22 | W, 64-62 (A-10 Finals)
First Meeting: 1939-40 Season; Richmond W, 33-32
Davidson Record at Home: 19-7
Davidson Record on Road: 14-13
Davidson Record at Neutral Site: 3-1
Matt McKillop‘s Record: 0-0
- Coming off a setback at VCU over the weekend, Davidson enters 9-7 overall and 2-2 in Atlantic 10 play.
- The Wildcats and Spiders have met on the hardwood 57 times with Davidson leading the all-time series 36-21.
- The two teams last met in the 2022 Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Championship with Richmond erasing a six-point deficit in the final 1 minute and 22 seconds to rally past the ‘Cats, 64-62.
- Since joining the A-10 in 2014-15, Davidson has won two regular season titles (2015, 2022), a tournament title (2018), made three NCAA Tournaments (2015, 2018, 2022) and totaled 93 league wins (11.3 per year).
- The Wildcats have recorded an average finish of 4.0 in the 15-team conference and made the tournament semifinals each year.
- Preseason all-conference selection Foster Loyer continues to lead the ‘Cats in scoring, averaging 16.6 points per game.
- The red-shirt senior enters just 39 points shy of 1,000 for his career. He would become the 54th player in school history and fourth transfer to hit the milestone.
- Loyer ranks among league leaders in scoring (16.6/6th), 3-pointers made (38/8th), free-throw percentage (.895/1st), 3-pointers per game (2.4/8th), assists per game (4.9/3rd) and steals per game (1.9/3rd).
- Sam Mennenga is also contributing double figures (15.9 ppg) for the ‘Cats, while leading the team in rebounding (6.8 rpg) and field-goal percentage (.541).
- Mennenga ranks among A-10 leaders in all three categories.
- Coming off a career-high 19 points Saturday at VCU, sophomore Desmond Watson is averaging 11.5 points over his last 10 games.
LAST TIME OUT | VCU – 89, DAVIDSON – 72 | JAN. 7, 2023 | RICHMOND, VA.
- VCU drilled a season-high 15 3-pointers and overcame a fast start by Davidson to pull away from the Wildcats, 89-72, in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action Saturday afternoon inside the Siegel Center.
- Sam Mennenga, who contributed his fifth 20-point outing of the season, paced three Davidson players in double figures with 20 on 8-of-12 shooting. Desmond Watson added a personal-best 19 points in his second career start and Grant Huffman finished with 16.
- Davidson could not have scripted a better start jumping out to a 10-0 advantage, highlighted by six straight points from Mennenga to begin the contest.
- VCU responded with a 24-6 run, including four of David Shriver’s six treys, to take the lead for good, before carrying a 41-29 lead into the break.
- Ace Baldwin, Jr., scored 19 points to go along with 8 assists for the Rams, who forced 20 miscues turning them into 26 points at the other end.
- Both teams shot over 60 percent after intermission to finish the game at better than 50 percent.
- After trailing by as many as 25 late, the Wildcats used a 15-2 run to cut the deficit to 12, 80-68, with just under two minutes to play, but were unable to inch closer.
- Davidson will play its next three on the road beginning with a noon tip at George Mason on Saturday.