Davidson Turkish and Syrian Students Seek Donations for Earthquake Relief Efforts
An earthquake with the magnitude of 7.5 on the Richter Scale hit Turkey and Syria on February 6th; there are approximately over 11,000 deaths and 54,000 injuries as of now. Both countries need supplies and donations as soon as possible. The Turkish and Syrian students at Davidson College have been working together to organize a donation campaign.
These Davidson students are asking for your help.
Students will be setting up a donation table in Davidson College Alvarez Student Union at the Football Stadium Entrance between 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. on T
What can you donate?
- Winter clothes (raincoats, jackets, sweatshirts, socks, gloves, boots, scarves, beanies, trousers, clean underwear)
- Sleeping bags
- Menstrual products
- Large backpacks
- Power banks
- Diapers and childcare products
Note: supplies such as clothing, blankets, backpacks, etc. can be in good condition (rather than unused).
If you do not have items to donate or cannot come to the college, please consider making a monetary donation to the organizations that are continuously working at the impact zones. Here is what Davidson College has published as Resources for Disaster Relief on their WildcatSync page:
“A financial contribution to reputable relief organizations is one of the most effective ways to support relief efforts. If you prefer to make a donation following a disaster, be sure to visit GiveWell, Charity Navigator, Charity Watch, and the Better Business Bureau to help assess an organization’s effectiveness in managing donated funds. Organizations like World Central Kitchen, Presbyterian Disaster Assistance , Islamic Relief, Doctors without Borders, International Medical Corps , and Red Crescent are on the ground in multiple locations and seeking donations.”
Although the following charities have not been officially vetted by Davidson College, we, as Syrian and Turkish students, feel the following charities are also worth considering:
- Molham Volunteering in Syria: https://www.paypal.com/
- AKUT is a voluntary, non-governmental organization involved in searching, assisting, and rescuing the victims. They are accepting donations in EUR and USD at the following link: https://www.akut.org.tr/
- AFAD is Turkey’s official disaster and emergency management authority. They are accepting donations in EUR and USD at the following link: https://www.afad.gov.tr/
We are thankful for your help and support with all the challenges international students face during these times. We would really appreciate any support that you can provide during this challenging time as well. Please keep in mind that even the smallest donation helps.