Men’s Basketball Hosts George Washington on Senior Night
DAVIDSON WILDCATS (14-14, 7-9 A-10)
Head Coach: Matt McKillop (Davidson, 2006)
Career Record: 14-14 (1st season), Record at Davidson: Same
GEORGE WASHINGTON COLONIALS (15-14, 9-7 A-10)
Head Coach: Chris Caputo (Westfield State, 2002)
Career Record: 15-14 (1st season), Record at George Washington: Same
Location: Davidson, N.C.
Site: John M. Belk Arena (4,300)
Radio: Davidson Radio Network
TV | Online: ESPN+ | WatchESPN.com
Streak: Won 1
Last Meeting: Feb. 5, 2022, Davidson Won 78-73 (Smith Center)
Last Davidson Win: Feb. 5, 2022, Won 78-73 (Smith Center)
Last GW Win: Jan. 29, 2020, Won 107-104 (4OT) (Smith Center)
First Meeting: 1939-40 Season; GW W, 74-72 (Away)
Davidson Record at Home: 9-2
Davidson Record on Road: 6-7
Davidson Record at Neutral Site: 0-4
Matt McKillop‘s Record: 0-0
- Davidson will wrap up its 2022-23 home slate Wednesday when George Washington visits Belk Arena for a 7 p.m. tip.
- Winners of three straight, the Wildcats enter 14-14 overall and 7-9 in A-10 play following a 71-67 win at Duquesne Sunday.
- Prior to the contest, Davidson will honor its lone senior scholar-athlete Foster Loyer and student manager Jordan Krouse.
- Seven of Davidson’s league contests have been decided by four or fewer points. The ‘Cats are 2-5 in those games.
- Since joining the A-10 in 2014-15, Davidson has won two regular season titles (2015, 2022), a tournament title (2018), made three NCAA Tournaments (2015, 2018, 2022) and totaled 98 league wins (11.3 per year).
- The Wildcats have recorded an average finish of 4.0 in the 15-team conference and made the A-10 semifinals each year.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Foster Loyer, who has scored 903 of his 1,130 career points at Davidson, ranks among league leaders in scoring (16.0/8th), 3-pointers made (60/8th), free-throw percentage (.913/1st), 3-pointers per game (2.2/10th), assists per game (4.5/4th) and steals per game (1.7/4th).
- Sam Mennenga is also scoring over 15 points per game, while leading the ‘Cats in rebounding (6.7) and field-goal percentage (.519).
- In addition he ranks among A-10 leaders in scoring (11th), rebounding (8th), field-goal percentage (11th).
- Loyer and teammate David Skogman (.873) rank 1-3 in the league in free-throw percentage.
- The Wildcats are 9-3 on the season when making at least eight 3-pointers in a contest.
- 13 of Davidson’s contests this season have been decided by five or fewer points, including seven in league play. The Wildcats are just 5-8 in those contests.
- Since 2003-04, the Wildcats own a 116-34 record in the month of February.
LAST TIME OUT | DAVIDSON – 71, DUQUESNE – 67 | FEB. 26, 2023 | PITTSBURGH, PA.
- Grant Huffman scored 16 points, Foster Loyer added 15 and Sam Mennenga recorded his sixth double-double (14 pts, 11 rebs) of the season, to lead Davidson to a 71-67 victory over Duquesne Sunday afternoon inside UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse.
- Huffman, who logged a team-high 37 minutes, finished 6-of-10 from the floor with three 3-pointers to go along with 6 rebounds and 3 assists.
- The ‘Cats, who improved to 11-1 all-time against the Dukes, finished the game shooting 54.9 percent, including 9-of-21 from deep.
- After the ‘Cats pushed their lead to as many as 16, early in the second half, Duquesne (19-10, 9-7) slowly chipped away with eight second-half 3-pointers to make it a one-point game, 64-63, with 1:35 to play.
- Loyer answered the Dukes’ comeback in impressive fashion, drilling back-to-back triples on consecutive trips to all but put the game away.
- Dae Dae Grant paced Duquesne with 20 points, Jimmy Clark III was also in double figures with 15.
- The Wildcats broke open a 13-13 deadlock and took the lead for good with a 19-5 streak highlighted by 10 points from Huffman before going to the half up, 36-22.
- Davidson will conclude its 2022-23 regular season Saturday evening with an 8 p.m. nationally-televised (CBSSN) contest at Rhode Island.