April News from the Ada Jenkins Center
Ada Jenkins has a lot going on in April!
- Through April 15, we’re offering free tax preparation services for families and individuals who earned $60,000 or less during 2022. We’ve already served 219 households this year, for a combined $232,441 in tax refunds. If you know someone who qualifies, please ask them to sign up here for an appointment.
- Due to demand, our food pantry is now open an extra day each week. Some shelves are looking bare: we greatly need hygiene items such as full size shampoo, deodorant, toothbrushes and toothpaste; and toilet paper. (We can’t accept sample or hotel-sized toiletries or hygiene kits at this time). Donations can be dropped off at the food pantry entrance–facing Davidson Pizza Company–on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings from 9:30-11:00 a.m.
- We are excited to announce two infrastructure changes designed to maximize the Center’s reach in our community:
- Josh Kiser, formerly the Center’s Facilities and Volunteers Manager, has been named Development Manager. He will retain the many relationships he has built among Lake Norman churches, businesses and individual volunteers, and build upon them to increase the numbers of individuals, families and organizations who support the Center.
- Katherine Androvich has been promoted to Financial Assistance and VITA Manager. As the Center’s Financial Assistance Coordinator throughout the COVID pandemic, Katherine developed and streamlined processes for helping Ada Jenkins Center clients access emergency assistance for rent, utilities, childcare and other critical needs. Katherine will now manage the Center’s Financial Assistance team and serve as the Center’s community liaison regarding external financial assistance services and support. Katherine also manages the Center’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, which provides free tax preparation for families earning $60,000 or less.
- Our friends at D9 Brewing are hosting a Spring Fling Festival (April 29; noon-10pm) with proceeds benefiting the Ada Jenkins Center. Come join us for music, kids activities, vendors, food trucks, and fun!! Music from The Dropouts, Val Merza and a special performance from Thomas Anthony. Hope to see you there!
- For information about VITA tax services. open gym hours, food pantry, volunteer opportunities–or any of the other Ada Jenkins Center services–please visit adajenkins.org or call 704-896-0471.