Baseball Welcomes VCU to Wilson Starting Thursday
At 10-4 in league play, Davidson is atop the A-10 standings, as one of three teams with 10 conference wins. Saint Louis and Saint Joseph’s are 10-5, while Davidson had one of its games at George Washington canceled last week.
The Wildcats are 24-18 overall after a 6-5 loss at Queens Tuesday night.
VCU enters the weekend 22-23 overall and 8-7 in the A-10.
LATEST ON THE ‘CATS
• The Wildcats lead the A-10 with 67 home runs, 228 walks, a .410 on-base percentage and a .489 slugging percentage.
• Junior outfielder Ryan Wilson continues to produce at a high level and leads the league with a .396 average, 16 home runs, a .523 on-base percentage, a .799 slugging percentage, a 1.322 OPS and 123 total bases. He also ranks second in the league with 57 runs scored and 22 hit-by-pitches and is third with 47 RBIs.
• Wilson has reached base safely in all 42 games and is on an 18-game hit streak.
• Sophomore second baseman Jack Cotrone is having a breakthrough campaign, hitting .331, and is tied for third in the league with 10 home runs. He’s fifth with a .606 slugging percentage and a 1.057 OPS.
• On the mound, senior starter Will Schomberg is the league leader with 6.63 hits allowed per nine innings, ranks second with a .201 opponents’ batting average and is third with a 1.10 WHIP. Schomberg carries a 3.48 ERA (fourth) and is tied for the league lead with six victories.
• Senior reliever Bennett Flynn is sixth in the A-10 with 61 strikeouts, one spot ahead of Schomberg (59).
• Dating to 1980, the Wildcats and Rams have met 30 times, with Davidson winning 12 games.
• Davidson is 10-13 against VCU in A-10 play.
• The Wildcats won two of three games in Richmond last season.
• The teams last met during the 2022 A-10 Tournament in Davidson, when eventual champion VCU earned a 14-6 win in the semifinals.
SCOUTING THE RAMS
• VCU has won the last two A-10 championships and played in NCAA Regionals in Starkville, Miss. (2021) and Chapel Hill (2022).
• VCU enters the weekend tied for sixth in the standings with Rhode Island.
• Last weekend, the Rams took two of three games from Saint Louis.
• Also in league play, the Rams went 2-1 against George Mason and St. Bonaventure and 1-2 against George Washington and St. Joseph’s.
• Most recently, the Rams lost 11-6 at No. 21 Virginia Tuesday night.
• The Rams lead the A-10 with 92 hit-by-pitches and 347 runs scored.
• VCU is second in the league in multiple categories, including 7.7 runs per game, 224 walks, 85 doubles and 428 hits.
• Individually, infielder Brandon Elke is the A-10 leader in doubles (17), RBIs (54) and sacrifice flies (6) and leads the Rams with seven home runs. He’s hitting .330.
• Outfielder AJ Mathis is the league leader with 60 runs scored and is hitting a team-best .360 with a team-high 16 steals.
• Infielder William Bean leads the A-10 with 42 walks and, along with Will Carlone, has hit six homers.