Baseball Hosts Billikens With A-10 Lead on the Line
Two of the top teams in the Atlantic 10 will meet at Wilson Field this weekend when Davidson hosts Saint Louis in a three-game set.
Davidson enters the weekend 12-5 in league play and a half-game ahead of Saint Louis and Saint Joseph’s, who are each 12-6. The Wildcats, now 26-19 overall, had one A-10 game against George Washington canceled because of inclement weather.
With Davidson’s graduation set for Sunday, the teams will begin their series with one game Friday (1 p.m.) and follow it with a Saturday doubleheader, starting at 1 p.m.
Prior to Friday’s game, the Wildcats will honor its class of 2023: Bennett Flynn, Toren Herrick, Jacob Hinderleider, Henry Koehler, Ryan Kutz, Anthony Mase, AJ Pabst, Jacob Peaden and Will Schomberg, along with student manager Bradyn Oakley.
• Junior outfielder Ryan Wilson continues to lead the Wildcats — and the A-10 — in numerous offensive categories, including home runs (16), total bases (125), on-base percentage (.519), slugging percentage (.767), OPS (1.286) and hit-by-pitches (25). He’s second in the nation in HBPs.
• Wilson has reached base in all 45 games this season and leads Davidson with 20 multi-hit and 14 multi-RBI games.
• Wilson ranks second in the league with 61 runs and 50 RBIs, is fourth with a .380 average and eighth with 12 doubles.
LATEST ON THE ‘CATS
• Davidson has won eight series this season and five in the A-10, with the lone league exception being a 1-1 split at George Washington. The Wildcats won two of three games against VCU last weekend.
• Sophomore catcher Jacob Friend is the reigning A-10 Player of the Week. He hit .667 with three home runs and seven RBIs in last weekend’s series against VCU.
• Sophomore second baseman Jack Cotrone remains among the league leaders. He’s tied for fourth with 11 home runs and is ninth with a 1.031 OPS.
• Right-handed pitcher Will Schomberg leads the league with 6.63 hits allowed per nine innings and a 1.10 WHIP. He’s second in ERA (3.48) and with a .201 batting average against.
• Right-hander Bennett Flynn ranks fifth in the league with 69 strikeouts. Lefty Ryan Feczko is fourth in strikeouts looking (21).
• Davidson and Saint Louis have played four of the same A-10 opponents in six series this year.
• The Wildcats are 8-3 against UMass (3-0), Dayton (2-1), George Washington (1-1) and VCU (2-1).
• The Billikens went 7-5 against the same four teams, including 3-0 against UMass, 2-1 against George Washington and 1-2 against both Dayton and VCU.
• The Wildcats lead the all-time series 16-10 and won two of three games in St. Louis last season.
• Davidson played its first-ever A-10 game against Saint Louis on March 27, 2015. The Billikens won that game 10-7 in Davidson. That was also the teams’ first-ever meeting.
SCOUTING THE BILLIKENS
• Saint Louis enters 27-17 overall and won its last two games against George Washington last weekend.
• The Billikens, like the Wildcats, did not play a midweek game this week.
• Outfielder Patrick Clohisy is an all-around offensive threat, ranking fifth in the league with a 1.068 OPS. He’s the Billikens’ top hitter with a .358 average (8th in A-10), ranks third in the league with three triples, 67 hits and 19 stolen bases, fourth with 49 RBIs and 50 runs and sixth with 10 home runs.
• Tyler Fogarty has also hit 10 home runs.
• Outfielder Hayden Moore is second in the league with a .500 on-base percentage and has stolen 18 bases.
• Infielder Ethan Sitzman leads the league with nine sacrifice bunts and is second on the team with a .356 average.
• On the mound, Henry Litman ranks second in the A-10 with a 3.48 ERA. Jack Weber is second with 1.81 walks per nine innings.
• As a team, the Billikens lead the league with 8.0 runs per game and are second with 69 stolen bases, a .389 on-base percentage and a 5.33 team ERA.