September Opportunities at Ada Jenkins
September opportunities at Ada Jenkins, ranging from education services to the Lake Davidson Sprint Triathlon, to Meet Up and Move.
Although Camp LEARN Works has come to an exciting and eventful close, additional volunteers are needed to ensure that our 2023-2024 school year jumps off to an amazing start.
There are currently two volunteer opportunities in Education Services:
- Drop In and Volunteer for 2 weeks in September(For those who can’t commit to being a regular weekly volunteer all semester). Sign up here to help LEARN Works instructors any days on a “drop in” basis, September 11 through September 22.
- Regular weekly volunteers for the 2023-2024 program year. Visit our Education Services webpageto learn more about our program, to view volunteer opportunities and complete an application. (If you’ve volunteered with LEARN Works in the past, simply email [email protected] by September 10, stating your interest in returning.)
Demand for our food pantry continues to rise, and we are in need of restocking our shelves to keep up. August brought forth 500+ clients, up from 299 people in July. We would greatly appreciate a few community members to help organize food collections to meet the demand. The following items are most needed:
- Condiments (ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard
- Salad dressing
- Dog and cat food (3-lb. bags)
- Full-size shampoo (we can’t accept mini or hotel toiletries; sorry)
- Body wash
- Laundry detergent
- Toothbrushes and toothpaste
Volunteers are available Tuesdays-Thursdays, 9:30-11:30 a.m. to accept donations at the food pantry entrance.
Approximately 20 more volunteers are needed on Sunday, September 10 for the 2023 Lake Davidson Sprint Triathlon – an event in which all proceeds will be donated to the Ada Jenkins Center thanks to Trane Technologies, the event’s host! Volunteers may sign up for race-day set up, parking assistance, run/bike course volunteers, lifeguards, and more. Great opportunity for teens, families or small groups – click here for details. If you’re more of the run-bike-swim type and would rather enter the triathlon itself, register here!
And if you’re more of a walking person, please join us for our next “Meet Up and Move” event, Monday, September 18 at 8:45am. Join Ada Jenkins Center staff, neighbors, and community leaders as we take in some fresh air along the Antiquity Greenway–and get our steps in!
Park in one of the nearby lots, and meet us at the entrance to the greenway, 20036 Zion Ave, Cornelius. We promise great energy and fun conversation.
Thank you for considering these opportunities and for caring about the families we serve!