This Week at DFM: September 9
Prime Season Market
September 9, 2023
9 a.m. – 12 p.m., Rain or Shine! No pets please.
Shopping starts at the ringing of the market bell.
Hello DFM Shoppers!
I know it’s hard to believe that fall foods are beginning to produce and be harvested when it’s still so dang hot outside; but Mother Nature is sticking with her plans! This week we say farewell to sweet summer peaches; and hello to sweet potatoes! Be sure to stop by Peaches + Cream’s tent to get the last of the peaches this season. Then swing on over to Barbee, Coldwater and Correll for the first of the fall sweet potatoes. Check out this yummy recipe, Baked Sweet Potatoes with Mexican Street Corn, from Chelsea’s Messy Apron. It’s a great summer/fall mashup!
Here are some new items to check out on Saturday:
Essential Soap – Autumn Hand + Body Cream with Amyris, Rosewood, + Cardamon!
Flying Fish – Swordfish!
Mano Bella – Bell Pepper + Arugula Pesto!
Nonni Schiavone – Stop by on Saturday and pick up their famous 3-bean salad recipe!
Simply American Dog Treats – Chicken Necks are buy two get one free!
Sun-Raised Foods – Lamb Garlic Bratwursts!
Apples are Here! Find the apples near the red Market tent at the main entrance. Here are the apple varieties available this Saturday:
- Gala – sweet, mild and crisp
- Cortland – sweet, tart and good for baking
- Rome – mildly sweet, tangy and floral. The queen of baking apple!
- Jonagold – crisp, sweet and tart
- Mutsu – sweet and sharp with juicy flesh
Calling New Vendors! If you are interested in applying to be a vendor for 2024, check out the main page of our website to download our application, rules and guidelines!
Mark your calendars for Corn on the Cob Day, Sept. 23 at the DFM. See flyer below for more info! And mark your calendars for the remaining 2023 Markets!
2023 Market Schedule
Open 9 am to Noon now through the Saturday before Thanksgiving (Nov. 18)
Closed Nov. 25 + Dec. 2
Open 9 am to Noon on Dec. 9 + 16 for our Holiday Markets!
*again this year our holiday markets will feature farm crafts, art, decor, and more!
See y’all at the Market,
Buy local, eat fresh!
September 9, 2023 at the DFM
- Seed to Sanctuary is back this Saturday! Stop by and chat with Sara Rubens, owner of Seed to Sanctuary about getting ready for your fall garden. Fall is a wonderful time to grow in our area – lettuces, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, and brussel sprouts! Sara will also have seeds for sale so you can start to direct-sow in your garden now! Maybe you are curious to know what a Garden Couch does? This is a perfect opportunity to chat with her about that too or just pop over to see her Vespa…she calls her Sage!
- PAPA Grey Beard – Papa is back to Market this Saturday from 9 am to noon with his Baby Boomer hit list! Papa’s tunes are another great reason to come and hang out with us at the DFM!
- IT’S APPLE SEASON! Thanks to our collaboration with vendor Fair Share Farms and Lyda + Sons Orchard in Hendersonville, NC, we will bring you NC mountain apples every Saturday from now until the end of October’ish. Find us near the red Market tent!
- Stop by the Mecklenburg County Master Gardeners table to welcome them back to the DFM. They will be at the market every Saturday for all of your local gardening Q&As.
On Saturday, Sept. 23 we will host our first ever Corn on the Cob Day! We will be grilling corn in the husk and selling them for $3 each. Top your corn with a selection of seasonings from butter, cotija and chili powder, to Old Bay, lime, and honey. You won’t want to miss this fun day celebrating our farmer’s sweet corn while supporting the DFM!
New at the DFM – Thoughtful Baking Co has created a free pastry passport to celebrate all the wonderful pastries that are available at the DFM. Stop by the Thoughtful Baking booth to grab your Pastry Passport this Saturday. Each time you purchase a pastry from a participating vendor, you will earn a passport stamp. Once you collect all the stamps, return to Thoughtful Baking Co. for a delicious prize! Fun and delicious, while supporting local pastry makers!
Reminder – The Davidson Farmers Market vendors are happy to accept Snap/EBT. When you Snap We Match! Let Us Double Your SNAP dollars, up to $50! For more information on the SNAP/ Double Bucks program please go to the DFM Market tent.
- “Spring Egg Coupons” are now available for all DFM SNAP users. For more information on the SNAP/ Double Bucks program and the Spring Egg coupons, please go to the DFM Market tent.
Give the Gift of DFM
The Davidson Farmers Market is a registered 501(c)(3) organization and our operations would not be possible without the generous support of our donors, sponsors, and volunteers.
The season of giving is upon us, and we hope you will consider DFM as you make your year-end gifts. Your support enables the market to thrive, attracting an average of 1,600 shoppers every week. When you shop at DFM, you not only support thirty-nine amazing local producers who come from within a 100-mile radius of our community, and represent over 1,100 acres in surrounding counties, you also:
- Stimulate our local economy and aid in the preservation of farmland
- Create opportunities for business incubation and micro-enterprise for farmers & vendors
- Strengthen our local food system while reducing the carbon footprint
- Foster social interaction among an economically, racially, and ethnically diverse shopper base
To make a tax deductible contribution, visit our secure online gift form or mail a check to PO Box 2534, Davidson NC 28036
Like we always say, the DFM could not happen without the support of our community. Thank you… DFM vendors for providing a bounty of fresh and healthy local products, DFM Sponsors for their financial support, DFM Green team who volunteers time, talent and energy, DFM musicians for beautiful music and Town of Davidson for providing a clean and centric location for the market!
A huge thank you to those individuals who donate to support the DFM. Your support enables the market’s mission and helps sustain DFM as a vibrant community gathering place and source for healthy, locally grown produce and products. To make a donation, visit our secure, online gift form or mail a check to PO Box 2534, Davidson, NC 28036. All donations are tax deductible. Thank you!
It has been 15 years since a small group of Davidson citizens decided we needed a Farmers Market. I doubt even the most ardent fan of markets or the most optimistic could have imagined the Market we have today. With close to 40 vendors, an average of 1800 shoppers a week and strong community support we set a high standard for what a local, producer only market should look like. Saturday mornings are a cacophony of sights and sounds and smells and I delight in finding a few minutes to sit and take it all in. I love to watch the families introducing their children to fresh fruits and vegetables and piling carriages high with flowers or seeing a small hand reach up to touch a brightly colored pepper. I listen to vendors answering questions about how to best prepare okra or explaining about different types of mushrooms. Our vendors are passionate about their product because they produce it themselves and despite long lines and hot sun, they always seem pleased to be at the Market. It feels so good to see people listening to the music and placing tips in the can, and sometimes singing along. Maybe you are part of a group or a club or a team that would like to come out and help set up and enjoy the perks of fellowship and early bird shopping.
So come to shop or volunteer or both, and take some time to let all the special parts of the Market really sink in. It’s worth the time!
DFM “Need to Knows”
Shopping starts at the ringing of the market bell. No entrance to market area prior to bell.
Payment: Most vendors accept cash and credit cards.
Parking: You can find public parking along Main Street, Jackson Street, the Davidson Presbyterian Church parking lot at the corner of Depot & Jackson Streets. All of which are just a short walk form a Market entrance.
Davidson Farmers Market partners with a local food pantry, Hearts and Hands. Each week the DFM offers a donation bin for the DFM Community to drop their donations. The bin is located at the DFM Market Tent.
No pets: While we all love to have dogs around town, the Davidson Farmers Market is a dog & pet free Market. Pets are not permitted within the Market grounds. As always, service animals are welcome.
Questions: Look for the DFM Market Tent or [email protected]